Seeking wisdom for teenage rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The replies in this thread haven’t really surprised me other than no one mentioned 308. :scratch:

I’ve killed more animals with a 270 Win than any other caliber, but I wouldn’t recommend it for a kid. My recommendation is a 308, because you can buy low recoil factory ammo if needed (think 30-30). If the OP is a reloader, the sky is the limit on how you can load for it, and in my opinion, it’s about as versatile as any caliber on the market.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know anything about firearms but it seems like a threaded barrel with a suppressor is your answer. Plus if you don't already have one then you get a suppressor. :)
I know I’m in the minority, but in my opinion, spend a grand on a suppressor and having to jump through all the govt BS and then still shooting standard velocity ammo is totally ridiculous.🤣

Before everyone tries to change my mind and list all the benefits, don’t waste your time. I’ve heard them multiply times, and I ain’t buying what you‘re selling.:talk2hand:

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just about anything in a short action would work in my opinion. I don’t know your kids size. Be mine is 15 your old is 6ft and 200lbs. He shoots a 6.5cm because he likes the less recoil. He does love the 300blk AR too. So that could be an option an AR style rifle.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I’m in the minority, but in my opinion, spend a grand on a suppressor and having to jump through all the govt BS and then still shooting standard velocity ammo is totally ridiculous.🤣

Before everyone tries to change my mind and list all the benefits, don’t waste your time. I’ve heard them multiply times, and I ain’t buying what you‘re selling.:talk2hand:
but...but...but... Yea I'm right there with ya.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
6.5 grendel has 308 like ballistics and kick is a non issue in an AR platform and light in a bolt ...but I am 245ish pounds .......... Might shoot Hooligan a PM and see what he says about the 7.62x39 which is really similar to the charge in the grendel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom