Seeking wisdom for teenage rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What we think of as full power rifle rounds came are derived from the technology of 130 years ago.
Around the turn of the last century smokeless powder technology matured and, a lot of new rifle cartridges were developed by militaries around the world (8mm Mauser, 30/06, 6.5 Swiss, 303, etc.). They were developed to compliment the heavy machine guns of the era and expected to engage targets at several hundred yards.

They were used in battlefield rifles to simplify logistics, not because soldiers needed the power at ranges that were realistic with iron sights. As a result, they tend to be about as heavy a round as you can reasonably expect a person to shoot repeatedly for an extended period in a rather heavy bolt action rifle

After WWII most countries recognized that bolt actions were obsolete on the battlefield and advances in powder technology would allow shorter versions of rounds with similar performance (30/06 and 308). Tons of bolt action guns hit the market at bargain basement prices and the cartridges became popular choices for hunting. Many gunsmiths modified existing designs by increasing or decreasing the projectile diameter and the best became standardized, each slightly better or worse than another for a specific task, but still in the same power class.

If it has the same head size as a 30/06 (308, 300 sav, 243, 25/06, 270, etc.) its probably more than needed for a white tail at less than 200 yards, and will have noticeable kick in a lighter rifle.
Of the older military rounds and their derivatives, it's hard to beat the 30/06 and 308 for availability, reloading data, and projectile choices. If you need flatter shooting drop in projectile diameter and weight. If you want less recoil drop projectile weight and increase the weight of the gun.
The 223 and 7.62x39 were developed as militaries recognized a need for a semi/full auto personal arm for urban combat. Rifles with "full power" cartridges were too heavy and awkward for the task. The projectile weights are much lower than the previous generation of cartridges and the powder charge is reduced as well. They are still more than adequate for white tail at reasonable ranges, but are not good choices for long range work on large game in open country. Necked up rounds with heavier projectiles are a better choice for brushy country. These rounds are in the "development phase" and clear winners in the consumer market are starting to rise to the top. Be carefull about selecting the flavor of the week in this class of shells, because it may be next weeks ugly duckling.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What we think of as full power rifle rounds came are derived from the technology of 130 years ago.
Around the turn of the last century smokeless powder technology matured and, a lot of new rifle cartridges were developed by militaries around the world (8mm Mauser, 30/06, 6.5 Swiss, 303, etc.). They were developed to compliment the heavy machine guns of the era and expected to engage targets at several hundred yards.

They were used in battlefield rifles to simplify logistics, not because soldiers needed the power at ranges that were realistic with iron sights. As a result, they tend to be about as heavy a round as you can reasonably expect a person to shoot repeatedly for an extended period in a rather heavy bolt action rifle

After WWII most countries recognized that bolt actions were obsolete on the battlefield and advances in powder technology would allow shorter versions of rounds with similar performance (30/06 and 308). Tons of bolt action guns hit the market at bargain basement prices and the cartridges became popular choices for hunting. Many gunsmiths modified existing designs by increasing or decreasing the projectile diameter and the best became standardized, each slightly better or worse than another for a specific task, but still in the same power class.

If it has the same head size as a 30/06 (308, 300 sav, 243, 25/06, 270, etc.) its probably more than needed for a white tail at less than 200 yards, and will have noticeable kick in a lighter rifle.
Of the older military rounds and their derivatives, it's hard to beat the 30/06 and 308 for availability, reloading data, and projectile choices. If you need flatter shooting drop in projectile diameter and weight. If you want less recoil drop projectile weight and increase the weight of the gun.
The 223 and 7.62x39 were developed as militaries recognized a need for a semi/full auto personal arm for urban combat. Rifles with "full power" cartridges were too heavy and awkward for the task. The projectile weights are much lower than the previous generation of cartridges and the powder charge is reduced as well. They are still more than adequate for white tail at reasonable ranges, but are not good choices for long range work on large game in open country. Necked up rounds with heavier projectiles are a better choice for brushy country. These rounds are in the "development phase" and clear winners in the consumer market are starting to rise to the top. Be carefull about selecting the flavor of the week in this class of shells, because it may be next weeks ugly duckling.
Great history lesson but he is looking for a rifle for his kid to enjoy. not get the crap knocked out of him and worried about reloadin. Keep it simple

JuanGrande62221

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer Hunting rifle for teen.

I have a teenager that enjoys hunting and has since about 9. I have hunted with a .223 rd for quite awhile and have had no problems downing a deer. Haven't wounded one yet. Given the success I have had with the .223 rd and its light kick, that is what I started my 9 year old off with. Again, so far no wounds. The problem I'm having with it for him however is that it doesn't leave a blood trail if needed.
He is now 14 and I'm thinking I need a bit larger round for him. I have a 30-.06 and a 30-30, but feel the 30-.06 maybe to much as he is a thin 14 year old, not much meat on his bones as my dad would say. Think of a physique more like a long distance runner and not a linebacker. I'm thinking even the 30-30 may be to much.

I have never shot a .270 round so I have no comparison on kick and I'm wondering how it might be compared to the 30-30. Thinking I could get him a .270 that he could use now and if he makes it through girls and college and still wants to hunt, give it to him as his officially and it can be used for most any game in the surrounding states that he may want to hunt.

Thoughts?
I’ve recent purchased a Howa mini-action in 7.62x39. I haven’t fired it yet (and never have an Howa), but it seems to be a quality rifle and I bet recoil would be manageable while being adequate for deer. I’ve hunted mainly with a .270 since I was in high school, recoil seems about the same as .30-06 to me.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh, the first rifle I asked my dad to buy me was a 30-06 Interarms Mark X. I'd already had a .303 British No 5 copy and a 12 gauge. I was 12. My experience was recoil only happens when you're target shooting. You don't notice it at all when you shoot a deer. How about you ask what your kid might want?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started my 13yo with a 7x57, 30+ years later, he still shooting that 7x57.

Along those lines, 7-08, .260 Rem, 6.5x55, .257 Roberts, .25-06, 6mmRem, .243 are all viable options. Though some are more available.

Do you reload?

Grandson wanted a .30-06. Bought one, fired one round and wouldn't touch it.
I reloaded some 115 gr lead bullets to 2550 fps. He is happy with his rifle. Upped his load to 120 gr JHP for deer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both my boys started on .243 Encore. One at age 9, other was 10. Pretty sure our guide was @dennishoddy near Pond Creek. Both successful and still remember the hunt. Thanks again Dennis! Been 16-17 yrs ago.
Yes, that was me. It was a pleasure meeting you and the sons. They knew how to shoot!

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started my 13yo with a 7x57, 30+ years later, he still shooting that 7x57.

Along those lines, 7-08, .260 Rem, 6.5x55, .257 Roberts, .25-06, 6mmRem, .243 are all viable options. Though some are more available.

Do you reload?

Grandson wanted a .30-06. Bought one, fired one round and wouldn't touch it.
I reloaded some 115 gr lead bullets to 2550 fps. He is happy with his rifle. Upped his load to 120 gr JHP for deer.
I've got a Ruger No.1 in 7x57...I need to actually make some test rounds for it --- haven't tried it since I got it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom