Seeking wisdom for teenage rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 7mm-08 is the cats meow. It offers light recoil as a solid deer gun and it can also take elk, bear, and even moose. The 243 is a great caliber for long range varmints and deer.
If I was starting over, I’d seriously consider a 7-08. I know a guy who owns A BUNCH of guns and has the means to buy anything he wants, and his go-to rifle for EVERYTHING including elk is a 7-08.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find myself taking my .223 bolt rifle hunting way more than any other rifle I own.
I am old and i have discovered I do not need a blood trail if i stick the bullet in the right spot.

I do not know if you have to track your deer when shot with a .223 or if they just die within eye sight or drop on the spot.

For me I use 55 Vmax and they drop on the spot.
No tracking needed.
I own a 30-30 and it is by far my least favorite round for deer killing.
Why?
Slow Velocity and the 150-170 gr bullets of past just pencil through and the deer run away after being shot.
I have .308-30-06, 6.5x55, .243, 6.5cm 30-30 , .223, by far .223 is my favorite.

I have never tried a heavier bullet in .223 for deer killing the 55v-max gets it done.

I have tried the 55 SP Hornady bullet and I HATE that bullet.
I do not suggest it for deer killing it does not cause the explosive trauma that the V-Max line does.

If you are dead set on another caliber I would go with the .243 like others have stated and use the 87 gr V-Max bullet.
I have dropped every deer I shot with it on the spot.
I like neck shots for the bang flop.
Honestly, so far we haven't had to track. They usually fall within 40 yards of where shot or sooner. Had one this year disappear into a wooded area though and not a speck of blood to be found. We did find it in a thicket close by, but was getting discouraged for a bit and hated the thought of leaving a wounded animal out there.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my son was 14 he was shooting my 300WSM. He wasn’t much bigger than a popcorn fart either. It’s not the size of the shooter it’s how you train the shooter. But that’s what many of us don’t fully appreciate, training is essential and with it caliber selection becomes less critical to the shooter.

If you’re concerned about recoil these would be my picks for me.

22 creedmoor
6mm creedmoor
6.5mm (in a pleather of chamberings)
7-08

I skipped the 243 because most if not all factory barrels aren’t twisted fast enough for me.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, so far we haven't had to track. They usually fall within 40 yards of where shot or sooner. Had one this year disappear into a wooded area though and not a speck of blood to be found. We did find it in a thicket close by, but was getting discouraged for a bit and hated the thought of leaving a wounded animal out there.
Not all deer or other critters leave a blood trail.
Buddy's dad shot one in the shoulder with a 150 gr 30-06 and the deer ran through the woods like it was never hit.
He called me and said they could not find the deer.
I asked it it was my handloads they used and he said yes and I asked him how far did you walk.

He said about 40 yards and no blood anywhere.
I said walk 80 or 100 yards in all directions.
He called back and said it was found at 80 yards and the shoulder was destroyed and meat hanging out but no blood until they rolled it over.

Sometimes that happens.
One reason I do not like shoulder shots.
But they found the deer so all is good.

Maybe make a note on where on the body of the deer they are being shot and the bang flop shots you witness try for those areas.

I have intentionally stuck the bullet behind the shoulder in the crease into the heart just to see how far the deer will go if it does run.
They seem to all run.
Forward facing into the chest and heart they crumple up and stay there.

Double lung shot some run some drop.

I do not know what bullet you are using but I am curious.
And curious as to where the deer get "poked".

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought my son year years ago a youth Remington model 7 in 7-08
Nice size for him in his early teens
As mentioned you can get reduced recoil ammo for it or down load it if you reload
Then you can try the full power loads and see how he does
A good replacement recoil pad makes a difference as well

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Bought my son year years ago a youth Remington model 7 in 7-08
Nice size for him in his early teens
As mentioned you can get reduced recoil ammo for it or down load it if you reload
Then you can try the full power loads and see how he does
A good replacement recoil pad makes a difference as well
I've got my dad's old Model 7 in 6mm and wouldn't sell or trade it for anything. Of course recoil is minimal and the accuracy has been great with whatever I've fed it even with such a thin short barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom