.22 Bolt Action Reccomendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and the excellent pics. The MK II FVT definitely looks slick, but I think it mights be a bit complex for a beginner.

I own the "F" and use it regularly to instruct Boy Scouts. Accuracy is fine, and the open iron sights are quite suitable for shooting at the 25-50 foot distances most common to Boy Scout facilities.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too am looking for a bolt .22 and really liked the new Marlin 22-XT

Less than $200

awww.marlinfirearms.com_images_XT_large_MFCXT_22_70759_lg.jpg

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My quest got derailed last week. My wife spotted the Crickett rifles at WalMart and mentioned that it might be a better starter for my daughter. We went to Academy and found that the Crickett fits her well. I was pleased when she said that she didn't want the pink one. She looked online and decided on the purple & black laminate. Nobody in town carries one, so it was ordered. Reddog1 was kind enough to facilitate an easy transfer of one I found online.

I was on my way to the range this morning to break in the Crickett when I decided to stop by the pawn shop. Lo and behold, they had a Savage Mk II for $120. I put $30 on it and should be able to pay the rest next Friday.

I'm usually only able to get one gun a year, if I'm lucky. By this weekend I will have doubled that in a week and a half. If I hadn't sold my Mosin (not part of the group buy) it wouldn't have been possible. The timing couldn't have worked out better. My daughter got the rifle she wanted, I get the rifle I want, and we get inexpensive boltie time at the range together.

Things don't fall in place like this very often but it sure is nice when they do.

Last edited:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you'll be happy with either the Savage or the CZ. However, at age 35, you've got a lot of shooting left in you. I'd spend the extra money and get the CZ. It will still be going strong when you're 70.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear you Ronny, and I don't disagree. The Savage should get me through until I can afford the little bit more.

Those CZs sure are pretty, and they look solid. There's still a few more slots open in the cabinet that need filling. Then again a 30-06 that's under 90 years old would make a good backup. I hope I do make it to 70. It'll take that long to make it through my *current* list.

Last edited:

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the Savages are built? I'm assuming its China based off the low prices I'm seeing.

BTW, is a heavy barrel really needed on a bolt action .22? With no rapid firing, heat probably won't coming into play. :scratch:

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the Savages are built? I'm assuming its China based off the low prices I'm seeing.

BTW, is a heavy barrel really needed on a bolt action .22? With no rapid firing, heat probably won't coming into play. :scratch:

Blasphemy... they are made in the N.E. Massachusetts to be exact. Savage makes really nice rifles; I really like the accu-trigger rifles the best.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear you Ronny, and I don't disagree. The Savage should get me through until I can afford the little bit more.

Those CZs sure are pretty, and they look solid. There's still a few more slots open in the cabinet that need filling. Then again a 30-06 that's under 90 years old would make a good backup. I hope I do make it to 70. It'll take that long to make it through my *current* list.

I just hope by the time you're 70, it's still legal to own a .22.

Latest posts

Top Bottom