22 lr semi auto pistols

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The S&W 22a is a very accurate gun, very easy to take down and clean, no jamming on mine.
about $220 - $260 and they hold their value. About three barrel lengths I think, the longer should be more accurate but i have the shorter of the three and it is accurate. I friend has a red dot scope on his, it is fun to shoot and very accurate.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a GSG or Sig 1911-22. They are one and the same with a different name and grips is all. I love mine and I usually have my suppressor attached to it when shooting so its under a lot of stress, more so than average shooting. They are so much fun to shoot and with a little cash can look cool too. Granted they are a little over your $300 mark but not by much. She will LOVE it.

ai876.photobucket.com_albums_ab325_88gmchog_Guns_CIMG0495.jpg

ai876.photobucket.com_albums_ab325_88gmchog_Guns_CIMG0582.jpg

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you want to buy a quality .22 pistol?

These are the 5 most common target style .22 pistols out there,,,
Any one of these 5 will give you many years of excellent performance.

I've not listed them in any order of preference.

Browning Buckmark = Great pistol but I found the grip to be funky.
Ruger 22/45 Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a 1911-ish grip.
Beretta U22 NEOS = Great pistol with a very slender grip.
Ruger Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a luger-ish grip.
S&W 22A = Great pistol with a very fat grip.

Any of these will serve you very well,,,
They are all reliable firearms that aren't ammo picky,,,
Rather than sweat over which one is better, get the one that fits your hand.

For those who want a non-target style DA/SA .22 pistol,,,
That is a reliable shooter but at an affordable cost,,,
There are two that consistently get great reviews:

Bersa Thunder 22 or the Firestorm 22,,,
Virtually identical pistols made by the same company,,,
These pistols are very similar in size and shape to a Walther PPK.

I broke my Thunder 22 in with 150 rounds of CCI MiniMag,,,
Now it cycles anything I feed into it with no problems.

Hope this helps,,,

Aarond

soonerbyx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother has a Buckmark...My dad has a S&W 22A...I have a MKIII

we all love our pistols...and we enjoy shooting the others, don't think you can go wrong with any of them

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got 3 semi-auto 22's.

Walther P-22 Target - out of the box it eats anything you feed it without issue. Easy to clean and maintain but not as easy as the S&W 22-A1 or Buckmark. Accuracy sucks compared to the Buckmark and a little less accurate than the S&W 22-A1

S&W 22-A1 - out of the box it wouldn't feed or extract more than 5 rounds without at least one failure to feed or stove pipe. Took gunsmithing to fix the problem. Had to modify the supplied magazine follower and replace the extractor with a custom made one. Now it feeds and extracts with 100% reliability any type of 22 ammo I shove in it but it cost me to get it to do that. Shoots low and needs a higher front sight. Wouldn't recommend one of these to anyone I liked.

Browning Buckmark Target model - accurate as hell. I can shoot a 3" diameter spinner at 20 yards and keep it spinning with any ammo I feed it and with perfect reliability. Can't do that with either the S&W or the Walther. Take down and maintenance is very easy. For a 22 semi-auto the Buckmark is the one I recommend.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just picked up one of the newer Ruger 22/45's with the factory threaded barrel. I've already put over 300 flawless rounds through it and it's been an absolute tack driver. I'm easily getting quarter size groups at 30 feet standing. For me that's pretty dang good.
I also have a Walther P-22 that has around 6k rounds through it. It needed a break in period of about 500 rounds but has been reliable since then. It's not as accurate as the Ruger, but it gets the job done if you're just out shooting rocks and cans.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess my recomendation would be a used MKII Ruger. Good accuracy, reliable. A lot of aftermarket support for them.
Contrary to what others say, I have never had any trouble field stripping them.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v231_GLG20_DSC00221.jpg

Modded MKII 22/45

img.photobucket.com_albums_v231_GLG20_DSC00264.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom