222 vs 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can do that too!
They was called a Contender Carbine.
Generally 16 and 21", then the later g2 models was 23"

But 8" is still 8 inches!

You could have a Condender Carbine in 222 also.

Back before S&W bought up Thompson Center and ruined them, they had a custom shop called Fox Ridge Outfitters.

They had a big list of cartridges outside of the standard TC offerings to select from!
This is why I join OSA. Thank you! I’ll have to look these up.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were it me, and it’s not, but if it were me and I already had .223 covered, I’d not invest in a round so similar. I’d be looking at 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6mm BR, or similar. I’d want to have more bases covered.

And, if you build the same rifle in .222 that you have in .223, you’d better do a different stock or color so that you don’t have an oopsie.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were it me, and it’s not, but if it were me and I already had .223 covered, I’d not invest in a round so similar. I’d be looking at 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6mm BR, or similar. I’d want to have more bases covered.

And, if you build the same rifle in .222 that you have in .223, you’d better do a different stock or color so that you don’t have an oopsie.
That would be a bad day. I have looked into others, I’m not opposed to them I’m just trying to stay with calibers I currently have projectiles, brass and powder for.
I looked at the 222 rem mag, 22 GT.
I have not mentioned, but what I do involve my children and want them to be part of it. I want them to shoot the new builds or at least new loads. As they grow we will grow in calibers, unless I get a wild hair🤣
They have fun shooting and going through the loading process.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's why-
30 yards is roughly about 27+m. At that range (we'll round down to 25m) 1 MOA is about .25 inch or 1/4". At 27m it's probably about .27-.3. That is the width of a bullet. Remember that measurement. So at 30yds, he shot a group of 10+ inches. That means he shot a group that was greater than FORTY (40) MOA...at 30 yds. This right here is physically impossible unless he was blindfolded, bent over, and shooting between his legs.

40 MOA - over a meter at 100 yds/m. LOL

Then he cryoed his barrel and brought it down to 1 MOA at 100yds, he went from a 40+ MOA gun to a 1 MOA gun by freezing it. Hooey.

@Jcann smelled right
If I had ANY firearm that shot 10” groups at 30 yards, I would throw it into the nearest lake. I could get better groups with thrown dirt clods.

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Give 19.5 gr. of IMR 4198 and a 50-53 grain bullet a try . My SAKO vixen shoots sub MOA at 200 with that loading . Lots of people myself included have had good luck with H322 as well.

Been using that load 4 yrs in my Riihimaki....

Attachments

• IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since we are discussing. 222 I was in Sports World in Tulsa recently and spied a Browning Safari in. 222 made in Finland in the used gun rack .Pretty sure it is Sako Vixen marked Browning I think it had a Ziese scope on it . Not something you see every day .
That would be a nice rifle.
I have a browning a bolt 2 micro hunter 223.
Made in Japan. Thought about swapping to a 222 barrel. Did I just poke the bear…

Latest posts

Top Bottom