223 for Hogs???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I never understood the the whole metric ton thing. Why didn't they just come up with another prefix? It's the same as us trying to use kiloounce or hectopound...........derailed, back on topic now. Being in the deer woods brings out my inner philosophizing abilities.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could use .223 for hogs but I wouldn't though just in case that first round doesn't kill it. 7.62x39 ain't bad but .308 or bigger is what I'd advise.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience hogs aren't any tougher than a deer. They just have vitals in a different place. Behind the shoulder is a gut shot. Needs to be shoulder or forward no matter what you shoot them with.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I talked to a hog ranch guide about this once and he confirmed that there are no hard and fast rules. He said that lots of pigs drop instantly from a 5.56 hit and he's seen pigs take a big magnum rifle rounds and then run long distances. T'were me, I'd take something larger than a .223 if I had it. I shot a trophy-sized boar once that was never found/recovered and I never want to do that again.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.223 is just fine for Hogs. If your shot placement isn't good enough for a 1 shot drop with a good .223 round, then it won't be good enough for a 1 shot drop even with a 7.62x39 round.

Go with rounds loaded with Barnes TSX is the 70gr+ range and it'll drop them fast. I've seen them drop fast with even 77gr MatchKings. They key is 69gr or heavier and get something that will penetrate and expand (or shatter.) Honestly the TSX rounds are about perfect for hogs.

Only time I'd say no to .223 is if you're on an open ranch where shots 300 yards+ is the norm and not the exception. In that case, I'd go with a bigger hunting round that can maintain it's velocity for proper penetration and expansion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom