Ruger American .308 bolt action weak ejection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody experience weak, sluggish ejection out of one of these bolt actions? I tried cycling the turn bolt slow, middling speed and fast and hard, pulling the bolt sharply back to the end of its’ rearward travel,,, no difference, case is just laying on top of the receiver.? I have to twist/roll the rifle over to drop the empty brass out or pick it off/out of the receiver before shutting the bolt, loading the next round. Tried a couple drops of lube on the ejector and extractor. Spring resistance on both of those parts felt strong to me.? Bought new six months ago, had it out to the rifle range, zeroed the scope, fired about 80 rounds, 150, 165 grain factory ammo. Couple different brands. Flawless functioning otherwise. Tried e-mailing customer service two weeks ago, then again a couple days ago. No response. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpeg
    IMG_0134.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I swabbed the bolt face, ejector and extractor. The bolt face looks kind of textured, mill marked, in the white. The spring loaded parts appear blued/black to me. Thanks for the response, guys. Might try having a local gunsmith look at it. Just tried cycling the bolt with a .308 snap cap dummy round, ejected weakly first time, not at all second try. Frustrating.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve always heard about rugers good service and lifetime warranty. Bummer they didn’t respond to your email. I’d think they’d owe ya a fully functional rifle!

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger may be slow to respond. But they will make it right.

But I would dissasemble the bolt and see if there are any burrs around the ejector bore. If the spring seems strong it has to just be getting hung up.

Looks like there are fibers stuck around it. Which usually means there is a burr or sharp edge for them to hang on.

IMG_7543.jpeg

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I checked it in at the 2A Shooting Center, for the gunsmith to troubleshoot. I’ll update what is what soon. Kind of disappointed with Ruger about the failure and lack of response to my e-mails to customer service. Don’t want to ship a 20” barrel rifle anywhere, if I can avoid it. Rather pay a local pro to fix it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom