Ruger American .308 bolt action weak ejection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I checked it in at the 2A Shooting Center, for the gunsmith to troubleshoot. I’ll update what is what soon. Kind of disappointed with Ruger about the failure and lack of response to my e-mails to customer service. Don’t want to ship a 20” barrel rifle anywhere, if I can avoid it. Rather pay a local pro to fix it.
I'm good for it.....

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got an update from the local gunsmith about my Ruger American bolt action rifle. He noted the ejector “clock” position in the face of the bolt, when contacting the case at the rear of the cycle, caused the case to flip up into the top of the receiver.? Shouldn’t the ejector be more in the 8:00-9:00 position (viewed from the rear), at the rear of the bolt throw, to push the case free of the action? He contacted Ruger and is getting shipping order for repair. What kind of engineer designs a bolt like that? Baffles me.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it still do it with the scope mount removed? Almost looks like the mount bolts might be interfering with ejection port, but hard to tell from just a pic. Hopefully you get it sorted. Just for reference my UP 6.5 is even more offset and ejects fine...:anyone:
20220419_110731.jpg

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it still do it with the scope mount removed? Almost looks like the mount bolts might be interfering with ejection port, but hard to tell from just a pic. Hopefully you get it sorted. Just for reference my UP 6.5 is even more offset and ejects fine...:anyone:
View attachment 469666
I will look at that. Thanks. Christ almighty, that forward hex bolt head in my Warne scope mount IS in a suspicious position over the ejection port, now that I look at the pic I posted. I’ll ask the gunsmith about that, if I can contact him before he ships it back to Ruger. Did I outsmart myself buying that amazingly expensive Warne mount?

Last edited:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean, if the round is coming off the bolt and laying there, it's not going to have a chance to get screwed up by the scope mount. My vote is that there's crap in the ejector. If you still had it I'd say to take the bolt out, and put a round in it by hand and then see if it was to spring out strongly when you let it go. You could also actuate the ejector and see if it was strong and springy --- compare it to a known good bolt from a different rifle.

IMHO that entire bolt face looks half machined in comparison to the pic LetFreedomRing posted.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mean, if the round is coming off the bolt and laying there, it's not going to have a chance to get screwed up by the scope mount. My vote is that there's crap in the ejector. If you still had it I'd say to take the bolt out, and put a round in it by hand and then see if it was to spring out strongly when you let it go. You could also actuate the ejector and see if it was strong and springy --- compare it to a known good bolt from a different rifle.

IMHO that entire bolt face looks half machined in comparison to the pic LetFreedomRing posted.
Thanks Rez, the “smith” I went to has disassembled the bolt, check the springs, ejector and extractor and determined all looked ok. Damned if I know, by looking. I thought the bolt face looked rough, too. ? Is this just a base model rifle that doesn’t get a polished, smooth bolt face? Maybe the reality of the economics. Appreciate your thoughts, observation.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Rez, the “smith” I went to has disassembled the bolt, check the springs, ejector and extractor and determined all looked ok. Damned if I know, by looking. I thought the bolt face looked rough, too. ? Is this just a base model rifle that doesn’t get a polished, smooth bolt face? Maybe the reality of the economics. Appreciate your thoughts, observation.

No worries... I see @SPDguns beat me to the observation and he's a rockstar of knowledge.

I have that on the mind as I recently had to strip apart a Ruger No 1 I picked up because the firing pin wasn't setting off some CCI250's. Granted they are a harder primer, and my 215m's worked, but once I cleaned the firing pin channel, it was much nicer. Same thing applies to extraction where gunk can build in there and mess with things. I've had that level of maintenance needed on a few rifles in the past.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I checked it in at the 2A Shooting Center, for the gunsmith to troubleshoot. I’ll update what is what soon. Kind of disappointed with Ruger about the failure and lack of response to my e-mails to customer service. Don’t want to ship a 20” barrel rifle anywhere, if I can avoid it. Rather pay a local pro to fix it.
Always check your spam and trash box, I've found things there I was waiting for. On the bright side I promise you that weak ejection is much better than premature ejection!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
did you buy it new or used? Mine looks like the one letfreedomring posted

Latest posts

Top Bottom