.223 in a 14" Contender for Deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW/OK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 14" Contender in 223 will take deer with precise shot placement, but do you really want to have to pass up a shot on a buck of a lifetime because of distance or difficult shot angles? That being said a 14" barrel should be as accurate as a longer barrel. I would prefer at least a 30/30 barrel for deer if you want to shoot a rifle caliber. Whatever you decide pistol hunting means 10X more range time to be proficient. Good Luck!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, it would only slightly extend the range that I bow hunt. Even then, only with a very durable bullet. I have seen what most bullets will do in coyote sized game and wouldn't trust many of them to a recoverable deer carcass. I am sure they will penetrate and kill, but without an exit wound a blood trail would be non existant.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just buy a 7-30 barrel or 30-30 if you don't reload - excellent 100+ yard pistol.

.223 will kill a deer with a good shot - but out of 14" barrel, it has less than 1000ft/lb even at the muzzle.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom