?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found your book money. Turns out the school board has it, they just apparently don't feel the need for new books or tablets. It's sad to think they took that money from the kids and are using for who knows what.
http://newsok.com/textbook-complaints-indict-local-ok-school-boards/article/5589618

“The Legislature put $33 million previously line-itemed for textbooks into the state-aid funding formula so schools can make spending decisions at the local level based on their own unique needs,” Hickman said. “Education leaders, including Superintendent (Joy) Hofmeister, made it clear to us this session that schools wanted more money directed through the funding formula so schools will have more discretion and flexibility. The funds didn't go away. Schools are still receiving the money that would have been line-itemed for textbooks, but now they have greater discretion to use those dollars for more pressing needs at the local level or to buy new textbooks.”
They had to redirect the money because the general fund was cut. Cuts happened year after year, not just one year. My books still have President Bush in office, if those pages are not missing.

Last edited:

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Budgets to school have been cut approx 20% over the last 10 years, and yes book money now comes different. Schools used to get around $69 per student for book, now get around $49. A single science book is $189. They can shuffle numbers around all they want to get blame off of them but deep cuts are cuts no matter how you do math. Election year, got to make themselves look good.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bettin the douche bags still would have walked out

So teachers are douche bags? For wanting better funding? For wanting to be able to educate your kids better? For wanting your kids to have a good basis to succeed in life after they graduate?

Man.... tough crowd!

And when your kid doesn’t get into the college of their choice, or get the job they want because they lack the appropriate level of education will we still be douche bags?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So teachers are douche bags? For wanting better funding? For wanting to be able to educate your kids better? For wanting your kids to have a good basis to succeed in life after they graduate?

Man.... tough crowd!

And when your kid doesn’t get into the college of their choice, or get the job they want because they lack the appropriate level of education will we still be douche bags?
I would had more respect for ya'll had you just said it was about pay. You guys managed to hold the state government hostage for 2 weeks, and I'm guessing that was because the Gov caved so quick on the salary part. Hmmmmmm we got pay in pocket, lets see what else we can hold out for............

Gov Fallin should have began firing, or at least attempting to as soon as ya'll walked out. We all know it was a strike which is illegal in this state. Spin it how you want.

Edit; Let me be clear, I have said more than a few times I fully support the teacher getting more pay. Its the manner in which you went about it. Holding the Gov hostage for money that school districts had LOST ACCOUNTIBLITY of proves they cant manage money properly

Latest posts

Top Bottom