260 Remington

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering purchasing a Remington 700 in 260 Remington.
Looking for any quick feedback about the cartridge. Is it more expensive than 308 to reload?
Can a Remington 700 in 260 be barreled in 308 and use the same bolt/action?

Thanks!

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its a good cartridge and a better performer than the 6.5 Creedmoor assuming you have a gun with the right twist to handle those long bullets. As to cheaper that depends on the bullets you use in your hand loading.

Can I ask why you would buy a 260 just to re barrel it to 308 ? there is no shortage of 308 stick shifts out there fairly cheaply.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its a good cartridge and a better performer than the 6.5 Creedmoor assuming you have a gun with the right twist to handle those long bullets. As to cheaper that depends on the bullets you use in your hand loading.

Can I ask why you would buy a 260 just to re barrel it to 308 ? there is no shortage of 308 stick shifts out there fairly cheaply.
I would have no intention of re barreling it unless the barrel wore out. Wanted to know my options if or when it needed to be re barreled.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have no intention of re barreling it unless the barrel wore out. Wanted to know my options if or when it needed to be re barreled.

Yes it can be rebarreled to 308 with ease , the 260 was developed from the 308 , same bolt face . For that matter it can be barreled in 7-08 or 243 or whatever .

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 260 Rem is a fine round and any short action cartridge that works with a +/- 0.473 bolt face would work with your rifles action after a re-barrel. The 260 will generally shoot faster and flatter with less recoil than a 308. Although you give up the ability to take full advantage of the heavier 6.5 bullets If you’re interested in shooting longer distances.

Given the track record of Remington I would shy away from them. I would look at Tikka, Sako, Bergara or Christensen (if they chamber a 260) and Savage

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always been a 6.5 fan and hunted extensively with the 6.5X55 handloaded for my Rem 700 converted from .30-06. As the .260 came to fame, I became a fan. I now have an AR chambered in .260 in addition to my Encore with a 28" heavy barrel. I love the round and have been successful necking up .243 cases as well as necking down and trimming .308 and 7-08 brass. At long range, I find the 140 grain bullets to be just as effective as most of the .308 rounds.

Blackdog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
What is the intended use? I really like the 140 and 130 rdf from nosler. I have a savage 12 lrp that has a little over 2500 rounds down range and no loss of accuracy. For hunting with the .260 I like the partition or accubond. Big fan of the .308 win based cartridges, I say get em all

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 260 Rem is a fine round and any short action cartridge that works with a +/- 0.473 bolt face would work with your rifles action after a re-barrel. The 260 will generally shoot faster and flatter with less recoil than a 308. Although you give up the ability to take full advantage of the heavier 6.5 bullets If you’re interested in shooting longer distances.

Given the track record of Remington I would shy away from them. I would look at Tikka, Sako, Bergara or Christensen (if they chamber a 260) and Savage
What issues are you referring too? Are the specific to the Remington 700 chambered in 260? Or general issues with Remington 700's overall?

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the intended use? I really like the 140 and 130 rdf from nosler. I have a savage 12 lrp that has a little over 2500 rounds down range and no loss of accuracy. For hunting with the .260 I like the partition or accubond. Big fan of the .308 win based cartridges, I say get em all
Intended is PRS matches and range fun. Not for hunting. Rifle is Remington 700 PCR in .260 with a bunch of area 419 accessories (brake, Arca rail, clamp) with Burris xtr2 5x25 optic. Includes dies and brass. $1700 price for all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom