260 Remington

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What issues are you referring too? Are the specific to the Remington 700 chambered in 260? Or general issues with Remington 700's overall?
Remington QA/QC in general. Improperly cut chambers needing finish reamers to fix. Busted off bolt handles in the field. Broken bolt stops if you run the bolt too hard. Jacked up 5R rifling. Bore not centered in barrel. Barrel not clocked right in action……shall I go on? You’ll spend more but there is better than Remington out there for PRS. Remember, buy once cry once

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remington QA/QC in general. Improperly cut chambers needing finish reamers to fix. Busted off bolt handles in the field. Broken bolt stops if you run the bolt too hard. Jacked up 5R rifling. Bore not centered in barrel. Barrel not clocked right in action……shall I go on? You’ll spend more but there is better than Remington out there for PRS. Remember, buy once cry once
Thanks for your input.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .260 Rem has a small, but loyal following (.260 Master Race). Factory twist rates and shorter freebore limit the cartridge to 120gr- range bullet selection. An aftermarket barrel spun up by a competent gunsmith will remove those limitations. However, the next hurdle would be finding magazines that would allow you to seat bullets out far enough to take advantage.

Good news for you on that the .473 case head diameter is shared with about 95% of the popular PRS cartridges...so you'll have plenty of options later on with nothing more than a barrel change.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .260 Rem has a small, but loyal following (.260 Master Race). Factory twist rates and shorter freebore limit the cartridge to 120gr- range bullet selection. An aftermarket barrel spun up by a competent gunsmith will remove those limitations. However, the next hurdle would be finding magazines that would allow you to seat bullets out far enough to take advantage.

Good news for you on that the .473 case head diameter is shared with about 95% of the popular PRS cartridges...so you'll have plenty of options later on with nothing more than a barrel change.
That’s odd, I reload and shoot Berger hybrid 140gr out of my sons 260 using Remington brass and H4350 at a velocity of 2,887 fps. It’s the most accurate loading out of his rifle. All in a factory rifle and yes, less than mag length. I can also take full advantage with 140/143gr ELDX/M bullets from Hornady.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s odd, I reload and shoot Berger hybrid 140gr out of my sons 260 using Remington brass and H4350 at a velocity of 2,887 fps. It’s the most accurate loading out of his rifle. All in a factory rifle and yes, less than mag length. I can also take full advantage with 140/143gr ELDX/M bullets from Hornady.

That bullet in a 1:9 factory twist is well within the "marginally stable" realm according to Berger, even at 2,900 FPS. So maybe not real "odd", but individual results will vary, and not everyone will have the success that you do.

It's the reason why I went full custom with my .260 and a 1:8 about 15 years ago.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That bullet in a 1:9 factory twist is well within the "marginally stable" realm according to Berger, even at 2,900 FPS. So maybe not real "odd", but individual results will vary, and not everyone will have the success that you do.

It's the reason why I went full custom with my .260 and a 1:8 about 15 years ago.
That’s odd, both my 260’s are 1:8. I’m well above a stability factor of 1.5.

Also, I don’t know any manufacturer that’s spinning a 260 barrel slower than 1:8. You certainly don’t need custom nowadays to find it.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded to this. The input is most appreciated.

I did purchase the rifle (Remington 700 PCR .360 Rem). Was a deal I couldn't pass up regardless of any potential Rem 700 issues.

Now I just got to learn how to reload which I've been wanting to do. 🙂
The deal included dies for .260, 223 and 6.5 creadmore along with some brass for each. I signed up for a reloading class at OKCGC but as far as I know no date has been set.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With your 260 you’ll need to decide if you want brass that uses small rifle primer (SRP) or large rifle primer (LRP). Some say with SRP brass aids in achieving lower SD/ES which is good when shooting longer distance, greater than ~500 yards. But, with SRP brass you may need your bolt bushed by a gunsmith. Choose one or two bullets in each weight (130 to 140 grain). Manufactures such as Lapua, Berger, Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler make quality long range bullets. Powder, you can try to reinvent the wheel but Hodgdon’s H4350 is close to the go to powder. Primers, take your pick. I shoot CCI BR2 but there are other good ones to choose from. Brass, take your pick. Lapua, Peterson, Alpha?, (not any experience with them). Whichever brass you choose buy a lot of it. This way hopefully you’ll get it all from the same lot. Whatever you do don’t mix brass with the same loading. Chances are they won’t perform the same and can cause an unhealthy event. Keep everything consistent and when making changes only change one thing at a time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom