2WD, 4WD, FWD, RWD, AWD, Tracks, which one is better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.autoruote4x4.com_upload_000a_7.jpg

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They all stop "or the lack there of" the same in the snow/ice. 4WD/AWD will have better take off, but if it's deep enough, you're going to get stuck no matter what unless you have a set of these http://www.mattracks.com/

4WD with a locker is your best bet for general offroad/weather purposes. AWD next, then FWD, then RWD.
I agree with the above posts, the driver is more important than the vehicle in most cases... Know your limitations and don't push it.
I pulled more lifted Jeeps out of the snow than any other vehicle when I had my Silverado; overconfidence never overrules physics.

Lockers on snow or ice are not fun. At least, auto-lockers like a Detroit are not. A selectable like an ARB or Eaton would be the tits.

4wd without a locker is really 2wd.

And a 2wd without positrac is 1wd. Don't get too carried away now.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something with lockable differentials so you can drive all 4 wheels when needed. The modern 4 wheel drive is typically just 2 wheel drive with one of those wheels being on each axle. Even worse is the wheel on the axle that gets the power is the one with the least resistance, read less grip. Modern two wheel drive is really only 1WD.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was playing around with the locker on my truck tonight. I forgot how quick you can start to bring the back end around whey both rear wheel break loose on ice.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lockers on snow or ice are not fun. At least, auto-lockers like a Detroit are not. A selectable like an ARB or Eaton would be the tits.

And a 2wd without positrac is 1wd. Don't get too carried away now.

Lockers in snow and ice are not good unless you are stuck in an icy and snow ditch. Detroit Lockers are not auto lockers. If you have a Detroit it is locked full time all the time and about the worst thing to have in wintery weather. An ARB type is not much different than a Detroit. Once you hit the button your axle is fully locked like the Detroit. Not good, see above. A limited slip / positraction is preferable.

If your car/suv has traction control be sure to turn it off if in ice and snow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom