3-Year old shoots himself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firearms demand the utmost in responsibility, children demand the utmost in protection. They failed on both counts. She was the last adult to leave the car and knew the gun was there. If she didn't know how to unload/clear the gun or couldn't lock it in the glovebox/console she shouldn't have left the car.
As for him it was his gun and he abdicated control and responsibility.

I'm thinking a jury should here it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can see the mother getting prosecuted, but not sure why the father should be. He left it with another adult, and that adult should have been responsible. Although, if he had a CCL, it shouldn't have alarmed the clerk, it should have been concealed.

Did she have a CCL? If not, then why did he leave a loaded gun with her in the car?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did she have a CCL? If not, then why did he leave a loaded gun with her in the car?

Not sure. I though Washington allowed loaded weapons in cars without a CCL? I would have to look it up to see. Either way, as an adult, she was the last one responsible, CCL or not. May not be completely legal, but the responsible adult thing to do would not be to leave a 3 year and an 8 month old in the car unattended, weapon or not.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure. I though Washington allowed loaded weapons in cars without a CCL? I would have to look it up to see. Either way, as an adult, she was the last one responsible, CCL or not. May not be completely legal, but the responsible adult thing to do would not be to leave a 3 year and an 8 month old in the car unattended, weapon or not.

That's why I went with reckless endangerment on her part. She knew the child wanted to play with the gun, so why would she leave him alone with it? :(

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I went with reckless endangerment on her part. She knew the child wanted to play with the gun, so why would she leave him alone with it? :(

Hell, why leave two kids that age alone in a car? This drives me nuts, I see young parents all the time going off and running into the store and leave their kids in the car, and will be the first to scream if something happens, instead of taking responsibility of keeping them with them at all times!!!

I think I am getting too old. I just want to smack some of these "parents"

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hell, why leave two kids that age alone in a car? This drives me nuts, I see young parents all the time going off and running into the store and leave their kids in the car, and will be the first to scream if something happens, instead of taking responsibility of keeping them with them at all times!!!

I think I am getting too old. I just want to smack some of these "parents"

In my book, there's a big difference between a parent and a breeder. :(

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A judge once told me that being a bad parent isnt against the law. There is such a fine line between being a poor parent and a sad accident. I still wouldnt prosecute, although DHS should be involved, and other children protected.

Also ccw should be revoked.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The child shootings have raised questions about Washington's gun laws. The state is one of 23 that doesn't have a specific law to prevent child access to firearms, such as mandatory trigger locks or criminal penalties for adults who allow children to access guns, according to the San Francisco-based group Legal Community Against Violence.

Washington state law is specific about carrying loaded pistols in vehicles, however. A person with a concealed weapons permit must lock the gun and conceal it from view if it is left in the car.

Anyone else notice the lunacy in the above quote from the original author? Legal Community Against Violence is basically implying that having a law specific to preventing child access to firearms would have had a material impact; why mention it otherwise. This is then followed by the fact that Washington does have a law about locking away guns in cars. Obviously, had the adults been aware of said law this tragedy would have never happened. I think we can all agree that the logical conclusion to this is there was a clear lack of education for the gun owner and the mother. They need a law requiring more training for gun owners and people who might know a gun owner. And since you can never have too many laws we might as well create one that covers child access prevention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom