.30-06 and .270 Deer boolits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Helping a friend get started loading, but I know nothing about which bullets are good for deer. He will be needing .30-06 and .270.

Any suggestions?

Only starting point I have is the Hornady SST and Sierra GameKings. But that's just from teh interwebz; not really anything I can trust.

Thanks!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.308 caliber 165 grain Sierra GameKings or Hornady Interbond boat tail soft points are both great deer bullets. Not too high priced either. Nosler Ballistic tips, (not the varmint bullet) are accurate and good deer killers as well.

.270, probably same manufacturers bullets and in 130 grain. (I haven't paid much attention to .270 load choices)

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that the old standard for 30-06 is 57-58gns of IMR-4350 with a 165gn quality bullet. CHECK THIS LOAD BEFORE USING!!!! I am trying to recall this at 1am, so I may be a little fuzzy. But, IIRC, that is what I saw in a thread over on THR. NOTE***this is not necessarily applicable for an M1 Garand.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.308 caliber 165 grain Sierra GameKings or Hornady Interbond boat tail soft points are both great deer bullets. Not too high priced either. Nosler Ballistic tips, (not the varmint bullet) are accurate and good deer killers as well.

.270, probably same manufacturers bullets and in 130 grain. (I haven't paid much attention to .270 load choices)
I have never loaded for the .30-06 but have loaded lots for the .270. My hunting load is a 130 gr winchester/nosler combined technology bullet. Very accurate at long range in my rifle. It can blow apart at close range but not so bad that it doesn't kill the animal quick. I use IMR 4895 for powder. Everyone is right though about any bullet will work well. The old standard Federal 130 gr cheap ammo shoots wonderful groups in my rifle.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For my money, Sierras are awfully hard to beat. Try the GameKings first. IF they don't shoot as well as you want from your (his) rifle, try the ProHunters. For deer, I like the 150-grainers in the '06 and the 130-grain in the .270. Very dear friend of mine was shop foreman at Champlin Firearms until his untimely passing and he thought the 130-grain .270 was the deer-killingest load there ever was. When he built my first .30-06, he gave me a handful of 150-grain Sierras and said, 'that's the only bullet you'll ever need.' We were talking strictly deer, of course. Hard to beat 'em.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Nosler 130gr ballistic tips in my .270. Loaded to just over 3000 fps. Started using them when they first came out. Have only killed 12 deer with them so I may not be an expert but none have travelled far after being hit. Closest was about 50 yards. It was hard to pace off....steep ravine in between me and him. Farthest was quite a ways out there for me..roughly 250 with a rock solid rest for the gun.....again hard to pace off...creek in between. Bought a range finder finally so I'll know for sure.

Sorry but no input on bullets for the ought-6. Only target shoot with my dad's old Rem 721 and use what ever I can find cheap...including some gas checked lead bullets I got at a garage sale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom