30-30 Winchester Bolt Action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my dad passed away 2 1/2 years ago, I got his old Savage 840 bolt action rifle in 30-30 Win. We're dealing with a box magazine instead of a tube magazine, so I'm wanting to do a little experimenting and load some 150 gr. Hornady SST bullets. I want to play with the charge a little (keeping everything safe, of course) just to see how it performs. Anybody else done anything like this?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Had a Remington 788 in 30-30 but haven’t seen a savage 840. Post up some pics. I would think that any published loads would be safe.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some 30/30 with 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips that I loaded to hit in the same spot as a 170fn, Gained a little BC and speed, I can use them as the first round or single due to tube mag but now for some reason I rarely do.

It was along about this time I realized what made the 30/30 so great in the first place. It earned its fame as a brush gun shooting those flat nose bullets and I was trying to turn it into something that it is not.

Sometimes they just get something right and it works.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did some 30/30 with 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips that I loaded to hit in the same spot as a 170fn, Gained a little BC and speed, I can use them as the first round or single due to tube mag but now for some reason I rarely do.

It was along about this time I realized what made the 30/30 so great in the first place. It earned its fame as a brush gun shooting those flat nose bullets and I was trying to turn it into something that it is not.

Sometimes they just get something right and it works.
What makes it a brush gun? Shooting through brush hoping to hit something or easy to get around in brush?

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a Remington 788 in 30-30 but haven’t seen a savage 840. Post up some pics. I would think that any published loads would be safe.
Those bolt action rifles were sold as Savage, Stevens and Springfield, under various model numbers including 325, 340 and 840. (May have been sold by the big dept. stores as well??)
I don't know all the variations but I've seen a few at gun shows with the "butter knife" type bolt handle.
I think most common caliber was 30-30 but they were also made in .22 Hornet.
Neato. A quick check of Gunbroker shows some in .222 Remington also (this is not my auction):
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/930664460

Latest posts

Top Bottom