308 necks too loose? Need help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put on your safety glasses and run them into the de-capper primers get upset when you hit them real hard on the other side but they will pop out no problem but I always were safety glasses and throw a rag over the die just in case, I've never had one pop but just in case ya know I like my eyesight. When I was neck sizing I normally just sized half the neck and all was fine, you can adjust your die and see the line on the case where it's being sized by looking at it. I shuold have my neck turning stuff today I'm gonna give neck sizing a try with my 308 but for the last 20 or so years I've not had any problems just neck sizing but after I try this neck sizing I may be a believer. Later,

Kirk

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help with this. I have definately learned a lot about how the different dies actually do their work. I may give the annealing a try. I have reloaded since Highschool but pistol only up to now. Streight walls are quite different I'm learning.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say that the 2 most noticable things would be trim cases to correct length all the same like I trim my 308 cases to 2.000" granted 2.015" is what the book calls out I just like even numbers I can remember, annealing after about 3 loadings I have noticed a difference in my groups I guess there is something to be said about neck tension. Let us know how things work out for ya and feel free to shout if you run into anything funky. Later,

Kirk

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say that the 2 most noticable things would be trim cases to correct length all the same like I trim my 308 cases to 2.000" granted 2.015" is what the book calls out I just like even numbers I can remember, annealing after about 3 loadings I have noticed a difference in my groups I guess there is something to be said about neck tension. Let us know how things work out for ya and feel free to shout if you run into anything funky. Later,

Kirk

Will do. Thanks so much for all the help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom