308 Win reloading problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got some problems with my reloads... I reloaded 20 rounds for the first time a week ago and shot them on Sunday. When I loaded them in the gun, the bolt was very stiff to turn. A couple of the guys with me tried to help me out some and they let me try a couple of their reloads - same thing happened. They are using RCBS dies and I'm using Hornady Match Grade dies. I'm fully cammed over with my press and the shellholder is touching the die, so its going all the way up in there. When, I shot one it was dead on accuracy wise and giving me the FPS it was supposed too. After the shot, I rotated the bolt and it rotated easily. So, I put the empty case back in and the bolt cycled easily.

Another guy there had some factory loads that I tried and they cycled just fine. Can somebody tell me what's going on here? Oh, the gun is a Savage 10FP with only 200 rounds down the pipe and I clean it religiously.

PS... has anybody used the RCBS X-Dies?

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does it act with factory loads? Can't diagnose well without that info.

Some chambers are unusually tight, and some are a little short. Mark a bullet with black or blue felt tip marker--use a lot, chamber the round then extract it. See if rifling marks show up on the bullet. Assuming your overall length is to spec, that would show a short chamber.

Could also be tight headspace. Borrow or buy a "go" gauge. If it makes the bolt hard to close, that can be fixed by adjusting headspace.

I am sure I have forgotten something obvious. CB

Toward the end of the life of a factory reamer, the chamber size reduces some due to the worn reamer. Could be the case with yours.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does it act with factory loads? Can't diagnose well without that info.

Some chambers are unusually tight, and some are a little short. Mark a bullet with black or blue felt tip marker--use a lot, chamber the round then extract it. See if rifling marks show up on the bullet. Assuming your overall length is to spec, that would show a short chamber.

Could also be tight headspace. Borrow or buy a "go" gauge. If it makes the bolt hard to close, that can be fixed by adjusting headspace.

I am sure I have forgotten something obvious. CB

Toward the end of the life of a factory reamer, the chamber size reduces some due to the worn reamer. Could be the case with yours.
It functions just fine with factory ammo. I tried the sharpie trick and i didn't see any rifling marks on the bullet. Guess I need to find somebody with a headspace gauge.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to resize your brass. It may be the shoulder or it could be that the die needs to be adjusted so that it sizes farther down to the base. It should measure .4709 at the base.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You may want to adjust the sizing die down to where it is no longer turnable with your fingers then go another 1/8th turn with the ram at top dead center of the stroke.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Get a Hornady or similar case comparator (think that's what it's called). Measure a fired case from your rifle and when resizing continually measure the case as you screw the die down, make sure you are getting at least a few thousanths shoulder setback or the bolt will be hard to close. Once you get a little shoulder setback try to chamber the case in your rifle and see if the bolt closes easily. Just screwing the die down until the press cams over really doesn't get you where you need to be.

The factory new ammo is loaded with new brass and the other guys reloads you tried may be too long for your rifle if they are only necksizing. My Savage only sets the shoulder 5 thousanths forward upon firing with Lapua cases. Upon resizing I really don't have to do much to get them to go back in the chamber.

Here's the Hornady tool, just like checking the case in a headspace gauge like suggested above but should give you more info about your cases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom