340 Weatherby Magnum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've confused me with your use of the word "correct."

MAX spec is 3.675 as sol said, but not all factory ammo is loaded to the max spec. To be technical about it, the "correct" length is usually determined by the placement of the individual bullet cannelure in factory loads, which is typically less than SAAMI max length. Not all brands of factory ammo are loaded to the same length. Clear as mud?

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys,the reason I asked is that I purchased a Weatherby mark V and the ammo that came with the rifle will not eject.The end of the round will not clear the ejection port.I checked them with my calipers and they are way past 3.6 so I figure they are hand loads and not correct.I had no access to a true factory load to compare the two and thus the question of length.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked them with my calipers and they are way past 3.6 so I figure they are hand loads and not correct

Sounds like some handloader knew just enough to get into trouble.
Probably tried to seat the bullets out to touch the lands, but did not know that Weatherby has very long throats and are designed to shoot with freebore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom