Weatherby not in WW2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am just curious. Just got done reading a Bill Ruger book and he designed a machine gun for the military and worked for the Ordinance department. Ruger didn't have the resources until after WW2 to design and produce his little 22lr but not much known about Weatherby prior to 1945.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were a lot of ways to get a deferment to military service in WWII, Korean war and the Vietnam war.
If a parent was a politician, or a high-ranking member of local society, you got a deferment in some cases. The draft boards were an appointed position. They took care of the people that appointed them.
I was in college struggling to keep grades up with a job and a pregnant wife getting drafted while two of my buddies that did nothing but drink beer and party didn't. One's dad was the district judge, and the others dad was the operations manager of a large manufacturing company. They never went, continuing to party.
The days of the draft in WWII and later wars allowed farm kids, and those working in select jobs that would benefit the war effort were exempt, although a lot volunteered anyway even though exempt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom