Weatherby not in WW2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing some reading on Weatherby cartridges and noticed that Roy's first cartridge he designed was the 270 Weatherby Mag in 1943. I know he designed the legendary 300 Weatherby Mag in 1944. The one thing that confuses me is at the peak of WW2 Roy was designing cartridges but it appears he wasn't in the service? It seems odd that Weatherby had the resources and time to design his cartridges and in 1945 come out the gates with Weatherby Inc producing rifles when the world was at war and Americans were generally all supporting the war effort in some way. What are your thoughts?

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who knows why he wasn’t. I know for myself, you’d never know anything was “wrong” with me physically by looking but I was born with just one kidney and a few other minor birth defects however the USMC didn’t want to have anything to do with me….in 1985. Even wrote my US Congressman (Dannemeyer) who in turn wrote the head medical officer of the USN, still have the letter somewhere. In any event I was given a kind and decisive No Way in Hell!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of every man cleared for military service in WW2, 2 were disqualified
No they weren't. My grandfather couldn't pass the physical at induction due to a previously broken foot. Car had ran over it while he was horsing around with his cousins. I never knew it to hinder him in any way but they kicked him out.

Equus

Marksman
Reaction score
No they weren't. My grandfather couldn't pass the physical at induction due to a previously broken foot. Car had ran over it while he was horsing around with his cousins. I never knew it to hinder him in any way but they kicked him out.
So how does your grandfather getting kicked out make the fact that 2 of 3 potential inductees during WW2 were rejected for service?

Latest posts

Top Bottom