.357 mag help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well here is what the manual says. Doesn't make much sense but here it is. No it's now a screwup on my part....

Rifle:
C.O.L: 1.590
2400: 9.3gr start 13.8 gr max

Handgun:
C.O.L: 1.590
2400: 10.5gr start 14.3 gr max

Test guns were a Rossi for the rifle and a Colt Python for the handgun. Go figure...

Edit: It's probably the barrel cylinder gap that accounts for a heavier charge in the handgun. I'm awake now...:hithead:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They used Winchester WSPM's in the Hornady manual. I believe they are magnums. Is 2400 a ball powder? Can't remember. If it is I'd stick with the magnum primers.

You sound like you've solved it. I think it's either your crimp or the nickel cases. It doesn't sound like your too hot. Magnum loads never just fall out, but you shouldn't have to hammer them out either. Sounds like you're about right. Get some fresh brass and watch the belling and crimping.

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot about 4lbs of 2400 a year. I've never used a magnum primer. I load for a 1894 .357, sp101, gp100, speed six, security six, .44 mag. Redhawk, .45colt Blackhawk. Even some reduced rifle loads. I've run into split cases using nickle and Remington. I don't like Remington cases in handgun. I only get 3-4 loadings with them. I'll still use them cause I'm a brass rat. If I have to buy brass I buy Winchester or Starline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom