38 S&W snubbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I asked the spousal unit what kind of a gun she wants and low and behold she comes back after a couple days and shows me a snubbie!! Problem is I know nothing about these guns other than some hate and some love them.
Looking at GB today I have seen blued, wooden grip, 36's going between 300- 1400..What gives here. By the way those grips and bluing is what she likes! And her liking the gun is what I am trying to do to get her to the range more!!
Honest advice here, no BS'ing. She'll like it just fine right up until she shoots it. The .38 snubnose is probably the hardest gun there is to shoot, at least of any gun in an effective chambering. If she's dead set on one, buy about 3 cases of target wadcutter loads and train her to hit them between the nipples. That way she might be able to train with it enough to get proficient. The +P loadings are effective but they are just brutal in the snubbies and she'll just be frustrated and turned off shooting altogether.

This is a problem a lot of women have before they become "educated" in shooting. Just like my step mom, she said once "I like that little thing, I'd be able to shoot that one just fine" when she was looking at my S&W 442. Nope. Not hardly. It's not a fun gun to shoot at all. With light target full wadcutters, they will cut a clean hole in flesh and bone just like they do on paper and they are quite a bit more tolerable.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4336-BUG-s-380-ACP-vs-38-Sp

"With few exceptions, the vast majority of .38 Sp JHP's fail to expand when fired from 2" barrels in the 4 layer denim test. Many of the lighter JHP's demonstrate overexpansion and insufficient penetration in bare gel testing. Also, the harsher recoil of the +P loads in lightweight J-frames tends to minimize practice efforts and decrease accuracy for many officers. The 158 gr +P LSWCHP offers adequate penetration, however in a 2" revolver the 158gr +P LSWCHP does not reliably expand. If it fails to expand, it will produce less wound trauma than a WC. Target wadcutters offer good penetration, cut tissue efficiently, and have relatively mild recoil. With wadcutters harder alloys and sharper leading edges are the way to go. Wadcutters perform exactly the same in both bare and 4 layer denim covered gel when fired from a 2" J-frame."

Also, look for Claude Werner's snub training DVDs.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with the little J frames, as noted, is that they’re no fun to shoot (for a lot of folks). Sacrificing a little concealability for a better grip is a good option. Altamont’s Bataleur is a good option if you like wood, and I put a Hogue tamer on my mom’s 642. She’ll be 75 this August, but doesn’t have a problem running a box of shells through it.

For the 442/642, the heavy trigger is a turn off. Wilson Combat’s spring set fixes most of that. I use the 14# return spring.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking at the info put out about the ARX style bullets that have been recently released for the 38, looks like soft recoil and great effectiveness!! So still thinking about this gun for the wife! Even if she does not like it I am sure I can find someone in the mirror that would not mind having a snubbie LOL!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Many factors, pinned barrel, flat latch, diamond grips will all drive the price up. Rubber grips, lock on the side,basic finish will keep the price reasonable.
If she likes the model 36, I'd check out the model 38,638,49,649. They can be shot single action or double action. Still has a hammer for SA but it is shrouded do it doesn't get caught pulling from a purse or pocket.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go rent a few different pistols....I will say the Ruger LCR in .38spl is a pretty nice package.....I do have a few S&W snubbies (10, 19, 66)...so no bias here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom