.38 Wadcutter Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlight

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll I am new to reloading and before I jump feet first into it I wanted to get more first hand experience and information on the goods and the bads.

I am curious if anyone has any input on making a good .38 Wadcutter round for the .38. I am shooting revolver at 50 yards and in. I need a very accurate and consistent load.

The other part I am researching is casting the Wadcutter bullets themselves. I am very interested in learning how to do this if it is worth the time. For what I have read so far, it takes a lot of time.

Since I have not jumped in yet, preferred tools or loaders would be helpful.

Any experienced info in these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Casting isn't that difficult nor time consuming. That said, I've never cast hollowbase wadcutters, but it shouldn't be any harder. If you're on a tight budget look to Lee for casting supplies, molds, bullet sizers etc. Lyman is also an excellent choice but a bit more expensive. Tha absolute simplest way for sizing and lubing is the Lee Sizer with Alox Tumble Lube.

Be absolutely to follow all safety rules for casting bullets. Don't take shortcuts with 700 degree lead. And never forget, hot bullets look just like cold bullets. I'd reckon every caster already knows that, but have still picked up a hot bullet at least once.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bet most of the people i talked to about the wadcutter were pushing them too fast.
read this..looks like 2.7gr bullseye or 3.0gr of ww231 works great.
Hot Rod them and accuracy goes to crap.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/wonderful-wadcutters-22022/

Yes casting is easy.. trying to get a couple guys here during my next casting session..a little hands on .

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer the Lyman 358495 141 gr. wadcutter with 2.7 gr. of Bullseye, It is easy to cast and shoots well. I believe the hollow base would be a lot more difficult to cast. You can sometimes pick up used sizer/lubricators on Ebay pretty reasonable, I just got a Lyman model 45 in good shape for 62.00 inc. shipping.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been awhile, but I used to cast 148 grain wad cutters. They were not hollow base. Used only as a target load with low charges of powder with low recoil and accuracy being the goal.

Des547

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook as a place to start. 4th edition is $20.00 from Amazon plus shipping or check with better stocked gun stores near you. Google for cast bullet forums, as well as OSA, and you will find tons of information for free.

Casting you own is a fine and relaxing hobby and if you are good at scrounging lead and tin it can be a cheap way to keep yourself supplied in very fine bullets. For a minimum investment you can start with a cast iron pot, a lead dipper and a propane camp stove along with a few pieces of Lee equipment. Well under a hundred bucks. I started casting and reloading back in the mid 60's and it's been a fine pastime.

Des

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may run into someone who will suggest that turning wadcutters around with the deep cavity forward will make a devastating round.

It just isn't so, but some folks don't believe that.

Fyrtwuck's bullets are, I think, either "ended," and might be better for the longer range you intend to shoot. I acquired a bunch of those several years ago and they shot really well at longer ranges. They were commercial bullets, pre lubed. I no longer load any pistol rounds except .44 mag and .454 Casull (just getting into that one), so my info is old. Good luck!

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep mine around 700fps. 2.5grz of titegroup works good foe me.
I've loaded the bbwc, dewc by hornady, and I use the Lee mold. I couldn't tell the difference in accuracy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom