.380 to small?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kmarcm

I am looking at a Walther P380. The pistol will be for home protection, and to get my CCL. At which time it will become my wife's gun and I will get a .40/.45/9mm.

My question is, is the .380 to weak for this? My though is that if I am in a situation where I need to Start slinging lead through the house, it really doesnt matter just as long as I hit my target.
I also really like the thing for concealing and general ergonomics, I have never picked up a weapon that felt so "right" when I was holding it.

Anyways, please advise and discuss.

Thanks in advance.

- Marc

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.380ACP is a tiny round but if the gun fits and you can shoot it accuratly then you should be fine. I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT and I do not feel like I need much more of a gun than that. Besides if it is too big then it will eventually get left at home and a big ass gun in the safe is worthless even against a tiny little 22LR that is in your face. CHEERS.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think any gun will take someone down. For home defense, you just got to make sure she keeps her shooting skills good. And I would suggest one that is quick and easy to lock and load. Dont want to be fumbling around when your scared.

We keep a 380 by the bed for home defense, it's small, light, easy to use.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll be getting a lot of differing opinions, so I'll throw mine in too.

- If you can get a bigger caliber, it probably would be in your best interest to do so
- There are way more compact, less bulky .380s out there if you're set on .380
- Shot placement is more important than bullet caliber
- Whatever you get is better than having nothing

Look into Kahr's CW or CM series, or any other reliable, small pistols. I just think that the P380 is waaaay too bulky and has waaaay too many odd angles for me to want to carry it. And if I'm going to get a home defense pistol it would probably be bigger than a .380.

Are you and your wife "gun people"? I ask because, even if you are, if she isn't you might look into a revolver, especially if she'll be carrying it later on. No safeties to fool with, no misfeed or failures to eject, and potential to get a lot of punch for the relative size.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has the PK380 and loves to shoot it. No issues so far and I keep it loaded with Hornadys. Also depending on how I am dressed, I picked up a nice little holster at the Police Supply on 61st, and it is easy to carry and conceal. I like it if I am wearing wind pants or need something light. My wife said the same thing you said, it feels right in your hand.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a few things to consider having a gen 1 P3AT.

1. Ammo is expensive and can be hard to acquire at times
2. A close quarter gun, sites on these aren't all that good. Hey but at close distances you won't be using them more than likely.
3. Trigger time is needed and these little gun really have some recoil due to size and weight. I don't shoot over a few mags in mine and my hand hurt like I've shot a .44mag :)
4. Most shootings happen in low light so plan on some sort of night sights or CT for it esp. for a house gun.
5. Limp wrist seems to be a issue with these small guns. Mine been 100% but my son was able to make the thing jam with limp wrist on the gun. In a high stress situation do you want a gun that may end up being a 1 shot a done gun?

If it were me I'd take her to the range and rent the guns she thinks she wants and see where your at then. Really a good S&W 38 or 9mm is a good range gun, cheap ammo, better selection of ammo, and less prone to inexperienced shooter limp wristing the thing.

K

Kmarcm

Good information. i really appreciate it guys. what range can i go to and rent guns? i know about Tulsa FireArms. is that the only one?

Latest posts

Top Bottom