38super vs. 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the difference between the 38super and the 9mm? Bullet size is the same and ballistics tables for the two rounds are almost identical. Is there a difference in casing length?

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The web link listed by aerobp pretty much tells it. It also shows the velocities being similar with the differences being mainly casing. Next question is if you were to convert a 1911 from 38super to 9mm would it be as simple as a barrel change or would more need to be done. IOW could you just drop in the different barrel and go.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds coool.... but ammo $$$ differences with performance being so close makes it a moot point. not to mention limited choices of pistols in .38 super vs 9mm is all over the place.

that said... what I shoot the most is .22LR and .45acp

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have two Sigs in 9mm.....highly accurate.

Have one 38 Super.....very accurate, and love it because it's a 1911 Colt.

Love the bright stainless steel.....looks like nickel, but doesn't wear out like nickel.

Colt 38 Super.......[Broken External Image]

My favorite 1911. ***My wife calls it my"pimp gun".

Cohiba

nsbpd509

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, if you reload it isn't a big deal, but for someone trying to find factory ammo, .38 super is sometimes a bit difficult to locate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom