5.7x28 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veshuma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm watching people hit man sized paper at 200 yards with a dot in a 5 inch 5.7x28 pistol... and PSA has them with two 23 round mags for 400 bucks.... should I sell all my 9mm stuff and get the wife and I one each? Lol no need for a 9mm carbine if handguns are shooting flat at 100. Ammo is down to 50-60 cents a round for the cheap ****. But I still need to find me a place to rent or borrow one.

Any opinions on the round itself vs 9mm?
Any experience with the PSA rock?

Anyone have a 5.7 pistol I can test drive near Lawton?

Last edited:

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ammo for 5.7 is what? 25$/bx or more.. so twice the price of 9 ball, and way less available. Like 9- it will punch a soft vest- with special ammo you cant get.. 9 is well researched on terminal ballistics, 5.7? Well you’ll have to look at the gel tests, make your own assessment.. 9 is commonly availabile in small compact pistols- 5.7 is nearly always full size 5” ish barrels.. maybe there are advantages im not seeing, but im not jumping on 5.7 yet..

torment

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got several guns in 5.7 and the only cons I've come across are ammo price, availability and sound. I run mine suppressed but they are very loud otherwise. Ammo isn't cheap but plenty online to buy if you got the funds. My shortened PS90 can put all 50 rounds in a 4 inch group at 50 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ammo for 5.7 is what? 25$/bx or more.. so twice the price of 9 ball, and way less available. Like 9- it will punch a soft vest- with special ammo you cant get.. 9 is well researched on terminal ballistics, 5.7? Well you’ll have to look at the gel tests, make your own assessment.. 9 is commonly availabile in small compact pistols- 5.7 is nearly always full size 5” ish barrels.. maybe there are advantages im not seeing, but im not jumping on 5.7 yet..

Ammo is expensive...that's definitely a downside. But in terms of effectiveness there's plenty of evidence to show it's an effective round, even from a handgun. It was quite effective in the Ft Hood shooting. There are at least two SWAT teams that have been using them since the late 90s and early 2000s with good results.

PSA has Fiocchi ammo for 50 cpr. The price is easing some...thank goodness. I love my 5.7 Ruger.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pro Tip, if you want some of the "good rounds" for 5.7 and you aren't LE (It's not a law, FN just doesn't want to sell it to normies), you can find them on GB every now and then. You're gonna pay for it though, just like with 5.56 M855A1.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It'll punch through a level IIA vest with most rounds, IIIA you need special rounds for LE only. I have heard rumors that the AP ammo is illegal for non LE folks. Self defense hollowpoint ammo is available but very pricey and is reported to penetrate titanium trauma plates. Of the youtube tests I have seen, it is much more potent than the .22 WMR. Also the 5.7 X 28 is only available in a 5" full size pistol. 9mm offers many much more concealable pistols. If you reload from what I have heard the 5.7 X 28 is very difficult to reload as well. The cartridge case has a polymer coating that rubs off when fired. Ammo is becoming more plentiful and it is an easy shooting round. FN tried to market the FiveseveN to women for a brief time with its light recoil.