5.7x28 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I used the wrong words. I am not as educated as some here. Should have said more energy delivered to the body by the 9 MM. You understand that better?

Not really. Energy transfer from a 9MM projectile isn't that great.

When we're talking about common, defensive handgun calibers energy transfer means pretty much nothing. That's why it's so common to see video of people who've been shot continue to do whatever it was they were doing to get shot...sometimes they don't even react. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% of handgun wounds are fatal...because the projectiles don't do a lot of damage.

People die from blood loss. Unless they take a round to the brain or spinal cord some people can function quite well for a few minutes even after receiving a fatal handgun wound. Don't take my word for it...look up the Miami FBI shootout. Both guys received what eventually were fatal wounds but they continued to fight for a few minutes.

Things like "knock down power" and "energy transfer" are myths from the 70s and 80s (maybe even earlier) that need to die.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really. Energy transfer from a 9MM projectile isn't that great.

When we're talking about common, defensive handgun calibers energy transfer means pretty much nothing. That's why it's so common to see video of people who've been shot continue to do whatever it was they were doing to get shot...sometimes they don't even react. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% of handgun wounds are fatal...because the projectiles don't do a lot of damage.

People die from blood loss. Unless they take a round to the brain or spinal cord some people can function quite well for a few minutes even after receiving a fatal handgun wound. Don't take my word for it...look up the Miami FBI shootout. Both guys received what eventually were fatal wounds but they continued to fight for a few minutes.

Things like "knock down power" and "energy transfer" are myths from the 70s and 80s (maybe even earlier) that need to die.
I do not agree, the ammo boxes usually have Foot pounds of energy and velocity. That all needs some consideration when choosing a gun or ammo. Weather it is for competition or killing something. Each to their own thoughts and likes. Some of those shootings you refer to, the perps were probably on some kind of drugs. Design of bullet used can make a difference. Bullet placement is important.

Last edited:

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not agree, the ammo boxes usually have Foot pounds of energy and velocity. That all needs some consideration when choosing a gun or ammo. Weather it is for competition or killing something. Each to their own thoughts and likes. Some of those shootings you refer to, the perps were probably on some kind of drugs. Design of bullet used can make a difference. Bullet placement is important.

You can disagree but @OK Corgi Rancher is right, energy transfer doesn't kill anything or knock it down. Its been proven time and again and not just on animals or drugged up humans. There is enough documentary evidence of shootings involving non drugged up humans at this point its an established fact.

Hemorrhaging is what kills most things which has been shot , hence the most important factors being a very good controlled expansion bullet and shot placement.

Those observed spectacular one shot stops are hits to the CNS even heart shots do not kill instantly .

Yellow Rose Firing Range

New to the site!
Reaction score
So I'm watching people hit man sized paper at 200 yards with a dot in a 5 inch 5.7x28 pistol... and PSA has them with two 23 round mags for 400 bucks.... should I sell all my 9mm stuff and get the wife and I one each? Lol no need for a 9mm carbine if handguns are shooting flat at 100. Ammo is down to 50-60 cents a round for the cheap ****. But I still need to find me a place to rent or borrow one.

Any opinions on the round itself vs 9mm?
Any experience with the PSA rock?

Anyone have a 5.7 pistol I can test drive near Lawton?
Yellow Rose Firing Range in Altus has a FN five-seven to rent

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guns and ammo were brought your way would it be doable? I suspect members of this board together could cover all the options. Maybe even some .327 Federal as well, there seems to be a lack of comparitive data on that too.