.40 out of Glock 10mm w/o conversion barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's doable. My only concern is since the case mouth isn't seated against the front of the chamber you'll flame etch the exposed portion of the chamber and end up with a bad 10mm barrel. I'd rather buy a conversion barrel and be sure rather than risk damaging the 10mm barrel or the weapon if there's too much damage to seal the chamber when you fire full power 10mm loads in it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you would flame etch the barrel then would that same flame etch happen with 38 special in a 357.
Or would that happen in a rifle if you cut the case neck too short.
Not even too short because there is a lot of free bore left in front of that case neck I have let my case necks grow to .027" past trim spec in the .308
Lot of space there.

I do not feel it would hurt a thing.
Ever fired a roundball that is patched.. the patch is not even all burned up.
I feel wear is from carbon more than it is from flame.

And I am talking carbon left in a case then reloaded and this includes the carbon in the primer pocket.
And left over carbon in a dirty barrel.

I would not be scared to do it. But I do like experimenting and such.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think same scenario as 38 in a 357, and short case neck in rifles.

Wouldn't this apply to all revolvers since chambers typically extend past front of bullet. I wouldn't say chamber is always longer than COL since lip/base does not fit into chamber.

Regular cleaning should remove carbon build up!? would a brush be best? use a solvent? both?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as the extractor hook holds the case in place for the firing pin I see no problem. If you happened to have a cartridge fire as it was being pushed forward by the firing pin it is possible you could have a case rupture with a hot load, but frankly I don't see that as very likely. The whole case would be supported by the chamber in that situation so not likely to present a problem, other than the primer blowing out. Just my opinion, if you decide to do it, its on you and not me. I was shooting some 22-250 reloads this morning and had a primer blow out, leaving an enlarged pocket. This was a Frontier case and I've had problems with them being too soft in the past. All the rest of my loads fired with no problem. These are hand assembled with weighed charges so it wasn't an error with the powder measure. I'm going to go through the rest of them and cull any of the frontier cartridges I may still have. The case retained all the pressure except for the expanded primer pocket. The bolt face/cartridge head seal held.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would this be the same as shooting .38s in a .357 barrell? It doesn't flame etch the chambers. It will leave residue in them that will keep a longer .357 from chambering easy.

I have shot .40sw in two different 10mm barrells in my G20. It works no problem.

I did buy the Lonewolf 10-40 conversion barrell. If the extractor slips off of the case rim you could get a jam that won't clear easy.

When I tried it worked without a problem other than me worrying that there might be a problem.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes Twoguns the .38 and .357 are same diameter, the magnum case is just a tenth of an inch longer and loaded hotter. I have had good results with the lone wolf conversion barrels in Glocks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom