Beretta: 1301 Tactical Mod 2 vs A300 Ultima Patrol (My Review)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know... It's long-winded. Maybe someone will find some information they can use.

We've had both for a few months now and have fired about 300 rounds thru each gun. The only malfunction has been with the 1301 when it failed to drop a shell from the magazine on to the lifter. No idea why. Ammo was Winchester Walmart #8 target loads. I figure it was as likely an ammo issue as a gun issue. The A300 has been 100% reliable.

Our ammo selection has been a limited variety, mostly the cheapest target loads I could find from Federal and Winchester. I'd say that's accounted for 250/300 rounds fired. I may have fired more buckshot thru the A300 than the 1301, mostly because I have been relegated to ownership of the "lesser" gun by my wife. She's quite small and handles the 1301 easily and without complaints of recoil even though she's not much more than a beginner shooter. Other ammo has been Estate #8, Estate 00B, Olin/Winchester 00B (military issue) and Federal LE133 00B (Flite Control, reduced recoil, 8 pellet). I can't say enough good things about the Federal LE ammo. I wish it was more readily available. Recoils like target ammo, should function well in any semi-auto and patterns great. Even at 25 yards all 8 pellets will comfortably stay in a torso-sized target from both guns. I was able to get a 250 round case a few months ago but the supply has completely dried up.

The 1301 weighs 6 lbs 8 oz on my scale. The A300 weighs 6 lbs 13 oz on my scale. Other dimensions are nearly identical. I'm not an accomplished shotgun shooter so both shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger. The trigger packs seem to be pretty much identical so the triggers are nearly the same while shooting. Both trigger pack housings are polymer. I'm gonna say the A300 recoil is very slightly less than the 1301. But, the difference is so slight I doubt I could tell the difference in a blind test. Both have similar sights and a short section of accessory rail right in front of the rear sight. The rear sight on the 1301 is adjustable for windage and elevation and is a ghost ring style with a white dot on either side of the ring. The front sight is a large dot. The rear sights on the A300 are not adjustable...plain ghost ring rear with fiber optic front. Both are easy to see and use.

Both guns have the same mag tube/barrel clamp from the factory...it's plastic and probably a weak point for both guns. The clamp has a QD socket for a sling swivel on both sides. The new 1301 Mod 2 was upgraded to include a forearm similar to the A300 which has M-Lok slots up front. I Loc-Tite'd the barrel clamp screws, tightened them down, and forgot about the cheesy barrel clamp. I installed M-Loc QD sling swivel mounts on the forearm of both guns and that's a far better sling solution for me with no worry over that barrel clamp coming loose. Many GunTubers recommend upgrading to a Nordic-type clamp but I don't see the need for us. Both guns include sling swivel sockets on the underside of the stock. But, it's not a limited rotation socket so the sling swivel is free to rotate 360° which I don't like. I did install a limited rotation socket in the side of the stock on the 1301 but had nightmares about drilling a hole in an $1800 gun. I may do it on the A300 but I'm not sure it's really necessary. Both guns have oversized charging handles (shaped slightly differently but both are very functional) and bolt releases. The location, texture and size of the bolt release on these guns is excellent and makes for quick port loading. Both guns have similar cross-bolt type safeties that are set up for right handed shooters from the factory but the safety is reversible for lefties on both guns.

Aside from flawless fit and finish, nearly everyone who shoots these guns side by side agrees, the big advantage the 1301 has over the A300 is in the shell lifter. The 1301 comes standard with the Beretta Pro Lifter. This makes loading the magazine so much easier. Basically, once you load a round into the chamber, the Pro Lifter pops up and out of the way of the magazine tube. No more snagging your thumb between the lifter and the mag tube. It's really a useful feature and I can see other makers adopting a similar type loader in the future. If you don't have the Mod 2 you can upgrade your Gen 1 or 2 1301 with the Pro Lifter...in theory. It's only about $60 from Beretta and it's worth every penny and then some. The catch is, every time Beretta gets them in stock they sell out in a matter of minutes. That goes for online vendors as well. I know because I waited 2 months to get one for the A300. I was lucky I happened to be checking my email when the "Back In Stock" notification came in from Beretta. So now I've upgraded the A300 to the Pro-Lifter.

In my opinion, the big advantage the A300 has over the 1301 is in the magazine tube. Both are 7+1 guns and both can be "ghost loaded" with an additional round. However, the 1301 has a two-piece mag tube extension where the A300 has a one piece. I'm not sure if that's the reason or not, but... With some 2 3/4" loads you can't fit 7 rounds in the tube of the 1301. It needs about an extra 1/16" to 1/8" in order to load 7 rounds with some types of ammo. The A300 will easily allow the full 7 rounds of the same ammo to be loaded in the tube (I forgot to note which ammo types we had that issue with, but it was more than one). The barrels and tubes on both guns appear to be the exact same length. I think that's another reason a lot of people recommend upgrading the mag tube on the 1301.

The A300 receiver is also generously relieved on the underside compared to the 1301. Loading the A300 is noticeably easier...especially now that the Pro Lifter is in place. Even before, it was easier to access the mag tube with the A300. Now it's hands-down better.

I'm not technically savvy on these guns but I do know the 1301 uses Beretta's "B-Link" gas system while the A300 uses a gas system that's worked well for Beretta for many years. People rave about it but, honestly, I can't tell a difference. The recoil system is in under the forearm on the 1301 while the A300 uses a more traditional system that extends into the butt stock. 2 action bars on the 1301, 1 on the A300. Again...I doubt I could tell a difference in a blind test. They both shoot well and handle easily with very light recoil...despite their light weight.

I've shot the 1301 side-by-side with a Benelli M4 and I'll take the Beretta every day. Recoil is slightly more on the Benelli in my opinion even though the gun weighs around 2 lbs more. The 1301 isn't cheap, but the Benelli is expensive even in comparison to the 1301, coming in at least $250 to $300 more. And you don't get the full 7 round mag tube at that price. There's no question the M4 is a fantastic gun, but all things considered I'd choose the 1301 Tactical Mod 2.

And between the 1301 and the A300, I prefer the A300. It's made in the USA and it's not as pretty as the Italian-made honey, but I like it better. Frankly, installing the Pro Lifter is what tilted the scales for me in favor of the A300. That and the inability to load 7 rounds of certain ammo into the 1301. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Side by side:
His and Hers.jpg

Note how the A300 receiver is relieved for loading:
Rcvr Differences.jpg

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't afford those beauties, but how does a Remington 870 tactical 12ga compare?

Nothing wrong with an 870. But it's pretty hard to do an objective comparison between a semi-auto and a pump. Maybe a Mossberg 590 or 500 to an 870?

You could compare the Remington 11-87 Police Magnum to the A300 maybe. The 11-87 was a great gun but won't cycle the variety of ammo the Beretta will. The much newer Versa-Max might be a better comparison. I sold my 11-87 Police gun to fund the A300 and I'm glad I did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom