.44 Mag Snubbies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what is your take on the .44 Mag Snubbie? Does it have a use, purpose or function? Is it just for show at the range? Can it work for HD/SD? Please share your thoughts on this pistol as it seems to be a gun of the past to many.

I personally love the little bastards and carry a S&W 629 w/2.25" barrel frequently. She carries:
Underwoods 180 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Points @
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1700 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 1155 ft lbs
Favorite rounds? No use for it? What is your opinion? Thank you...
Never shot a snubbie, but I do love to shoot the Ruger Super Redhawk with the 7 1/4" barrel. Full power handloads that are 1/10 of a grain below primer perforation is my deer, and maybe one day bear load. Its a true explosion going off in your hand.
Your snubby has plenty of power for deer or bear.
Looking into replacing my 7 1/4" to a factory 6" barrel to carry in Alaska on our next trip. I know its only 1 1/4 ", but the draw from holster is much quicker. I've borrowed a friends 6" to compare with.
Our next trip to Alaska is going to be a lot of backwoods by ourselves mostly fishing where the bears hunt, so I need something substantial.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a S&W 657 stub 5-6 years ago. I liked it. I never came across one at the right time to purchase. My j frames just sit in the safe anyhow.

I do bring out my 625 in 45 colt ever once in a while.

139f9fa6cfc6bcbf353319e7695eb0f7.jpg

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a scoped Super Redhawk with a 9 1/2" barrel that I absolutely love shooting but hate carrying. It's remarkably accurate but I can't shoot it free handed. Has to be shot off a rest or shooting stick.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love it. Had a 6 inch Redhawk in 44 Manly Magnum, really miss that one, but will be replacing it soon with a Black Hawk Hunter that I can reach the trigger with out having to hold it with a modified grip. For now I have to be content with my 4 inch Black Hawk 44 special.

Wish that I could reach the trigger with my shooting hand on this Talo one though, it is a great shooting social/snake gun.
medium-9448.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I almost bought a pair of Lew Horton snubbies some years back. A .44 and .41 mag. They wanted $770 each. Been kicking myself in the ass ever since. They were NIB. :hithead:

But to answer your question, they shoot a big fat bullet. They'll get the job done, but are more of a BBQ gun than practical these days.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want one of the newer 629 PCs to go with my 686 PC+. Wouldn't mind carrying either walking the dogs or taking the kids on a stroll.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpeg
One of these days I'll shoot it. I've got a SW 629 2 1/2" with an unfluted cylinder that I shoot often. Trigger is smooth as butter. The backpacker seems almost to pretty to abuse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom