.45 gap fad or rad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been shooting GAP since day one when I started shooting the informal IPSC at Tri-City. I find the kick to be less than the ACP and recoil more controllable and the grip more comfortable.

It's always fun and a conversation starter when someone picks up a round of the brass and brings it to me with a curious look on their face and says "what the heck is that"?

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been shooting GAP since day one when I started shooting the informal IPSC at Tri-City. I find the kick to be less than the ACP and recoil more controllable and the grip more comfortable.

It's always fun and a conversation starter when someone picks up a round of the brass and brings it to me with a curious look on their face and says "what the heck is that"?

I wasn't trying to say you couldn't shoot GAP or 10mm in competition. You can shoot anything you want but you better have a bigger wallet orpkan to shoot less than us guys with the 9mm. Plus at the Tri city match your at a disadvantage on mag capacity. Since everything is Open class out there I run my 23 or 28 rounders and never have to reload unless its mandatory.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being the Grock fan that I am :rolleyes2 I've always said I would like to have an OD 37, just because A) Glock invented/created the .45GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol) and B) Glock more or less made the OD poly frame famous. They didn't invent the first OD framed polymer pistol, mind you, I think that title goes to either HK or Walther, but Glock made them popular.

If I could find somebody with an OD Glock 37, I'd probably trade my 3rd gen G22 for it. :thumb:

Maybe... ;)

I know the ACP re-loaders sure love the GAP. Especially when they are picking up brass. :pms2:

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the idea of .45 GAP, and I do see it in stock at my nearest Wal-Mart about every other time I'm there, but from the comments, I'm guessing this isn't the norm. That said, 10mm I've never seen in stock anywhere, not that I've specifically been looking for it, but I think it's an interesting round.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to say you couldn't shoot GAP or 10mm in competition. You can shoot anything you want but you better have a bigger wallet orpkan to shoot less than us guys with the 9mm. Plus at the Tri city match your at a disadvantage on mag capacity. Since everything is Open class out there I run my 23 or 28 rounders and never have to reload unless its mandatory.

I know you weren't. The cost isn't that much. I reload and use 200 grain SWC lead bullets out there. I either cast my own or use J&K bullets. I'm going to try some of the bullets that Bill McBee is making next. He opened a bullet making business not long ago.

I don't go to that match to try to win. You've had that conquered for a while. I go out there to increase my skills. The only difference between the gear I would use on duty and the match is an extra magazine pouch and two extra magazines. Everything else is bare bones stock.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know right!! Who the hell wants an accurate round that performs really well??!!! (apply this to GAP or .357sig)

I think some of ya need to get a softer cushion for that rocking chair. :D

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 45GAP was made to spit 45 slugs out of a 9mm/40S&W sized grip frame. This it does. People get wrapped around the axle, thinking the 45GAP was intended to replace the 45ACP.

If the 45GAP is your only 45 auto (so you don't have to stock both 45GAP and 45ACP...or get them mixed up) and you like it, you should keep it.

For an administrative agency, most of whose employees are not gun knuts, the 45GAP makes plenty of sense. It spits 45 slugs out of the closest thing to a universal LEO grip size standard, the Glock 9mm frame. (I'm not commenting on whether the Glock grip is good or bad, but it is dominant.) Almost everyone just uses issue ammo which is bought by the truckload, so no problem.

With several state agencies using it, the ammo will be around. You may have to mail order it, but it's still there.

The XD was briefly offered in 45GAP, and Springfield initially designed their "short frame" 1911 around it but later switched it to 9mm. The 45GAP probably deserved a little better reception but I think the sunset of the 1994 AWB cooled the market for compact 45's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom