.45 gap fad or rad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzkrieg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, alright I've got to come clean on something. I always wondered what the big deal was with glock. I've been shooting for 20+ years, heard alot, read alot, but never owned one. Then my buddy calls and says hey, I got this model 38 and I wanna trade you for your Taurus judge.

Done deal. Glock for a taurus...I dunno bout y'all, but I thought it was a great trade. I gotta say, now that I own one and have shot one, a glock, kinda like my iPhone, didn't think they were all that great till I got one...and I love them both.

So, on to the .45 gap. As you all may know this glock is chambered in the gap. Here again, didn't know much about it other than ballistically it meets acp pressures and velocity and meets some acp+p rounds. Great. Love the boom boom. Now, the way I understand it is that glock had the round developed because it's shorter than the acp and can be chambered in smaller framed weapons. Me and my girlish hands appriciate this as well.
On the other side of the fence, ammo is a little pricey, not bad, but still higher than .40 or acp. And I can't walk into your average walmart or beer, bait, and ammo stand and pick up a few boxes.
So, my delimea is this: I love the glock. I like the round. But, is the added cost and availability of ammo really worth justification to allow the gun to stay in my collection? Or do I let it go, and buy another flock in .40 or 10mm?
Any help here would be much appriciated.

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If your reading it in English, thank a vet.
God bless the second amendment.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, when I turned 21 a few years ago and set about .45 shopping I strongly considered one, and thought about all the same things you just mentioned. Well...its coming up on a 3 full years later and thr GAP still hasnt caught on, and I dont think it will. With XDs being as ergonomicly sexy as they are (I own 2...one of which is my .45 ACP, love it), and with the intro of the slim frame Glocks, I dont think it will.

Long story short, its been 3 years and Im still glad I went with the ACP.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Several PD's around the country have adopted the GAP.I think it will be around for a while but the ammo will likely never be readily available or inexpensive.You mentioned the 10 mm,it would be even worse,cost and availability,than the GAP.I know of no PD's using it.45 GAP is an excellent round but if ammo price and availibility are a major consideration,then get a 40 or a 9. Steve

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a lengthy discussion about the GAP over on Glocktalk.

The GAP has been here for quite a while and is growing in popularity. Several STATE Police agencies have traded their .40's for the GAP. Ammunition can be found, just do a Google. I've been buying GAP in at Bass Pro in Okc. When I went to the Glock Armorers school, the instructor said that Glock was coming out with a 4th Gen frame style model 37.

I reload the GAP as well. All you have to do is adjust the ACP dies.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several PD's around the country have adopted the GAP.I think it will be around for a while but the ammo will likely never be readily available or inexpensive.You mentioned the 10 mm,it would be even worse,cost and availability,than the GAP.I know of no PD's using it.45 GAP is an excellent round but if ammo price and availibility are a major consideration,then get a 40 or a 9. Steve

i agree with redmax, iv always fround at the 10mm caliber, its a bigger problem(my opionon):idea:

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Odd rounds like that always serve an intended purpose or the time and money to develop them wouldn't have been wasted. For me I have no use for such hard to find and expensive calibers. I shoot the majority of my bullets in 9mm & 40 S&W because they costs less than everything else.
Sell or trade that GAP for a glock 34/35 take it to Mike at Accurate Iron to get the trigger, sights and magwell fixed up and then come and shoot USPSA or IDPA with us. After starting action pistol shooting You will shoot more than you ever have in the past and become a much better shooter very quickly.

Don't get a 10mm! It too is a cool caliber and I would like to have one for a backup hunting, hiking, camping gun but it ain't no good for plinking or uspsa shooting because it kicks like a mule and the hard to find ammo is expensive.
Seriously cone shoot with us at OKC gun club next weekend!

Latest posts

Top Bottom