454 Casull

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever shot this round. I really like the Ruger Superhawk Alaskan. Just not sure if this is a round that noone wants to shoot due to the kick back, etc. How does it comprare to .44 or .357?

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.454 is pretty stout.

Not too much worse than a hot .44 mag in my opinion.

However, it is NOT a plinking round. Hunting and long distance shooting maybe.

I'm a plinker, so it wasn't for me. 20 rounds at the range and I was done.

Of all the guns that I have owned and still own, the .454 was the only one that I sold quickly and without a tear.

But then, like I said, I'm a plinker. Not a hunter.

Dave

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a good friend that had a Freedom Arms in 454.Shot it many times,fairly stout recoil but it just "rolled" in my hand,no problem.Same guy also had a Desert Eagle in 50 AE,now it would kick the snot out of you.Much worse than the 454. Steve

Then again,I'm not very recoil sensitive.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just sold my Raging Bull in 454. I have had it for several years and really liked it. The Raging Bull was both compensated and ported which helped with the recoil. I just quit hunting about 5 years ago so the only time I was shooting it was just to go plink. I think it is a great round.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It so happens that I shoot handguns chambered for all the rounds mentioned above. When loaded to its full potential (it's upper limit is 65,000 psi) the 454 Casull will have recoil significantly more than a 44 Remington Magnum. Of course, it can be downloaded but what's the point? If you're going to have to download it, why not just get something else?

As for shooting 45 Colt loads in a 454 Casull or 460 S&W Magnum revolver; don't. If you do it very much and then try to shoot full house 454 or 460 S&W cartridges in the cylinders designed for them, you will have extraction difficulties. If you've actually "ringed" the cylinder chambers, no amount of cleaning or scrubbing will solve your problem.

Reaction score
As for shooting 45 Colt loads in a 454 Casull or 460 S&W Magnum revolver; don't. If you do it very much and then try to shoot full house 454 or 460 S&W cartridges in the cylinders designed for them, you will have extraction difficulties. If you've actually "ringed" the cylinder chambers, no amount of cleaning or scrubbing will solve your problem.

^
|
|
This man speaks very wisely. Ring the cylinders enough and the case mouth won't open to overcome the crip and release the bullet. Pressures spike. Wanna know what happens when something starting out at 65K under ideal conditions spikes? You'll have a new face, and will be able to count to 7 on your fingers.

.454 is mondo stout - but the Raging Bull Taurus is manageable due to the soft grips and porting. I don't know how it is that the RB is "compensated"...it has two rows of ports - that's it. Yeah, that's "compensated" I guess.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have an TC Encore 454 pistol that is ported and it's no kitten, but the recoil aint that bad.

Of course, I am a big bore junkie in search for my next fix.
:rubhands:

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are very comfortable with a .44 Mag, you should be ok with a .454. If the .44 is pushing your limit, you'll want to stay away. I've only fired .454 in a Freedom Arms and had an identical .44 Mag there for comparison. The grip allows the gun to roll in your hand, redirecting the recoil. It does flip up quite a lot. I've never shot one in a double action revolver, so I don't know how that compares. Also if you have any kind of wrist issues you probably want to go with something else.