454 Casull

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was reading an article in AR. It said the shorter barreled Taurus and the Ruger Alaskan were specifically made after hunters and fishermen in the Northwest complained they needed a "not so large" pistol to carry in case of Grizzly attack.

I think I'll pass.

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the long barrel raging bull and it is not too bad to shoot. I like shooting the .454 significantly better than the .460 smith. Every time I drop the hammer on the .460 it feels like someone stomped on my chest! I would personally rather shoot the .500 than the .460, but the .454 is not too bad at all in the raging bull. I can't speak for the freedom arms weapon, it looks like it could possibly be painful! I am not too much of a single action guy though.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the long barrel raging bull and it is not too bad to shoot. I like shooting the .454 significantly better than the .460 smith. Every time I drop the hammer on the .460 it feels like someone stomped on my chest! I would personally rather shoot the .500 than the .460, but the .454 is not too bad at all in the raging bull. I can't speak for the freedom arms weapon, it looks like it could possibly be painful! I am not too much of a single action guy though.

If you can handle the .460 and .500, the Freedom Arms should be no problem. They're solid (heavy) guns. Like I said, due to the single action design, there will be a quite a bit of muzzle rise (the grip rolls in your hand), but the actual smack to the hand isn't that bad.

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can handle the .460 and .500, the Freedom Arms should be no problem. They're solid (heavy) guns. Like I said, due to the single action design, there will be a quite a bit of muzzle rise (the grip rolls in your hand), but the actual smack to the hand isn't that bad.

I am not overly fond of the way a single action rolls in my hand. I would love to have a Freedom Arms though because they are beautiful weapons.