.458 bolt gun build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn’t find a 700 SA cheaper then a entire rifle so starting with a Ruger American in 450 BM.
Ordered barrel, said 10-12 weeks so will update as I wait. 1:14, polished SS 16” with a custom brake that is removable in case I get a can.
Need to order headspace gauges, Timney trigger and try and find a Magpul Hunter stock, I like the MDT chassis but cannot justify one. Barrel alone was more then the rifle itself!
Have a AR mag setup and it should be here this week, most likely will go with the AICS setup IF I can find a hunter stock.
68894987-3215-40F4-A21A-E6C873434D59.jpeg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What barrel did you go with? I really want to SBR my Ranch and have looked at a few barrels but as you said, man they're expensive especially considering I was looking at a 10" barrel.

I like your idea though, will be following.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You going to shoot those long away things! Nice sounding build.
For a .458 I’m gonna try lol
If I can do as good at 500 as the guys I think at Lehigh did at 1000 I’ll be happy. Takes a long time for a big 458 to travel that far!

Last edited:

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok nothing spectacular yet, was a B to get the old barrel off but got’r did.
Debating on which chassis, Indian Creek MoFo or Sharps Heatseeker. I sorta dig the fatty on the factory stock though, but I maybe crazy.
Yes I know brake is not timed, waiting to headspace first. If I do use the factory stock I’ll have to dremel a bit out, barrel is much larger then the 450 BM factory.
X-Caliber barrel(.458 Socom 1:14), X-Caliber XTerminator brake, standard Palma barrel contour if anyone wants that info.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So jealous.
Can you get the Heatseeker for this size action? I'm only seeing it for Short Action size calibers using AICS mags on their site. I could have sworn I had seen it before but don't see it now??

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So jealous.
Can you get the Heatseeker for this size action? I'm only seeing it for Short Action size calibers using AICS mags on their site. I could have sworn I had seen it before but don't see it now??
Yes they make a short action I don’t think a long action.

I’m debating on AICS or STANAG mags that’s sorta holding me up on chassis choice.
The Lancer AR mags work superb in my gas guns, bullet is straight. I do have a AICS conversion for this stock and the 450 BM mag setup as well. But out of all them, the only one that feeds the 458 correctly is the STANAG mag. I know I could mess with the other two but I like Lancer mags, not sure if I want to have modify as many AICS mags so still debating.
MDT makes an XL, Indian Creek makes the AR/MOFO(don’t quote me on that exactly) and Magpul makes one that takes STANAG mags.
All are in same price range.
And then there’s the Boyd’s AtOne, yep have a STANAG one available! Choices are there but always out of stock sadly, still waiting on any but the Boyd’s and MDT to pop up on sale then I’ll pull the trigger.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right but short action is 308 size so will your action fit in that chassis correctly? To me one of the biggest selling points of these Rugers is that they take AR mags so even if it fits and the aics mags work I would not want to go that route which also knocks out a few of the other options. The Indian Creek one looks good and uses AR mags. The Magpul stock that takes AR mags is not actually released yet last I looked, it is just a coming soon which could mean anything with them. Then you have the Boyd ones which are a little more traditional but I think their mag release set up and trigger guard is kind of hokey. If it were mine I would have to go with the Sharps Brothers chassis or wait for the Magpul to actually come out and I guess the deciding factor between those two is do you want an actual chassis or do you want a stock?

Latest posts

Top Bottom