• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy .458 Socom bolt gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   1
450 BM uses a .452 bullet IIRC, shoots “smaller” bullets, it is faster. The 458 is generally used more so in the pistol length CQB, it packs a wallop. 450 is straight wall and 458 is a bottleneck. You can load a much heavier bullet(700gr if you can find them)and get really good subsonic accuracy with the 458.
That said, there’s an advantage to both but I prefer the .458. Some states only allow straight wall but lucky enough here we don’t have that trouble. My daughter prefers the 458 over 300BO, drops about anything you hit instantly, course my 17 can do the same with headshots lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Which one did you look at? I had no idea this had become a thing. I've got an AR in one, and used to have another. It wasn't that long ago that one could pick up Siamese Mauser bolt in 45-70, cut down the barrel and thread it for a can. I've not seen one for sale in a while but they could be picked up for $500 or less in great shape.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Read an article on both cartridges and the 50 Beowulf. They sound like some fun thumpers. Good luck in your search!

On a related note these are some compact rifles and cartridges that are really interesting. Full custom jobs though..
https://m.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/Home.html#default.htmlSpecifically the 458 B&M Super Short

Last edited:

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   1
Which one did you look at? I had no idea this had become a thing. I've got an AR in one, and used to have another. It wasn't that long ago that one could pick up Siamese Mauser bolt in 45-70, cut down the barrel and thread it for a can. I've not seen one for sale in a while but they could be picked up for $500 or less in great shape.
Mars Armory.
What got me hooked to the 458 was when a buddy built a one off around 2012, single shot with a Mauser bolt. Someone stole his truck and the rifle was in the truck behind the seat, truck and rifle never showed up again. It was ugly, looked very unsafe but man it was a blast to shoot.
Bishop makes a bolt gun AND a lever gun in 458. I’m after a Mars, I really like the 700 Remage they use. I’ve got a couple ARs in 458, great guns but I also have a daughter that likes to forget to make sure the brass catcher is on correctly. Nothing like looking for brass in tall grass, the one she usually shoots catapults the brass 15’ (somewhere), if the catcher isn’t on just right it blows it wherever. Cheap Caldwell Velcro that works good for my 300 but not so good with the 458.
I need to get out while it’s dry with my Ace and see how much I can find that’s in good shape, I swear she’s lost around 50. Has to be somewhere in that range, so far she’s shot 73 hogs and only missed a couple(swears she hit the ones she’s missed lol)
So for her and me 😎 I think it’s time to step up to one, the Mars I looked at was a piece of artwork, just a beautiful gun. Now I’m set on finding one lol
Preferably used but if all else fails I will order one, I am even debating on listing a truck so I can order two lol
Read an article on both cartridges and the 50 Beowulf. They sound like some fun thumpers. Good luck in your search!

On a related note these are some compact rifles and cartridges that are really interesting. Full custom jobs though..
https://m.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/Home.html#default.htmlSpecifically the 458 B&M Super Short
I had the 50 Beowulf in an AR, great round but at that time the only manufacturer for ammo(and brass seemed like) was Alexander Arms, it was 60-80/box! Sold that and bought another 458 lol
They’ve got some cool guns! My dad likes big bore odd balls I’ll have to send him the link!

Latest posts

Top Bottom