5.56 case troubles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased some once fired 5.56 brass. I deprimed/resized them, tumbled in stainless media, trimmed, deburred, swedged primer pockets, etc. Needless to say after all this effort I'd like to be able to use them. After they were ready to start reloading I noticed a ridge around the neck right where it meets the shoulder. It's very narrow but it still concerns me a little. I tried resizing it again but the ridge is still there. The empty case chambers fine but is difficult to extract. Am I doing something wrong or is this a known problem with 5.56? Could it have been from the chamber of the gun they were fired from? Should I load some of them and see if they will run through my AR? I have been reloading for several years and I've loaded quite a bit of .223 but I've never noticed this with any brass before. Any help would be appreciated.

Rookie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1122.photobucket.com_albums_l526_tagnbrag_4A5F530A_45C3_4811_b1c3a07dc786f1654885cee17771fefd.jpg

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks like a roll in the neck. Check the AOL you may need to trim the brass or try backing your die up a little and see if that works.

Rookie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the die wasnt going all the way down as well. It ran about 500 with no issues. I came back a week or so later with the brass that I purchased and this was the results. No adjustments made between each batch. The batches were from 2 different sources.

The brass has been trimmed. If it is to long can a roll in the neck be removed?

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you roll the neck I would just trash it... Double check the OAL before you resize it. I would check 15 or 20 just to make sure.

Rookie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got about 750 like these. If the OAL is over should I trim before resizing? I've always been told to resize before trimming since the case will grow during the resize process. How much over can 5.56 be before its to long to resize?

Latest posts

Top Bottom