5.56 case troubles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin, I just realized I didn't finish my sentence. What it should have said was, I have adjusted it closer to the point my die and shell holder touch and it will not cam over.

Hmm. Hopefully somebody on here is close by and can come by to get a few brass to try and their press. Maybe they can bring dies by to try in your press.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does look like you aren't getting a full length size. My Dillon press doesn't have a shell holder that you can cam over with to set the die. The safest way to adjust your die and get the right trim is to get a case length gauge. If the loaded ammo will feed in your gun you don't have a real problem even with the ridge. Your chamber can function as as go no go case measure. I didn't get a case length gauge until I bought a Dillon Rapid Trim. That little gauge made it easy to set the trimmer and I used it to reset my sizing die on my tool head also.

I am wanting to get a few more of them for other case besides the .223 gauge I have. You can also put a loaded round in it to se if it will fit in a chamber. If you have a bulge on pistol cases after loading them a case gauge would let you know if they would chamber ok.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give your sizing die another 1/8th of a turn. (this is advice from RCBS) I has having the same problem, and it went away.
This ^
I had the same problem and had a friend tell me to start turning it in slowly until it disappeared which I did and it worked. The way I had to set my die at the bottom of the stroke with the lever there is a pretty good thunk as it passes that spot right before the bottom

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The RCBS instructions say to run the press to the bottom of the stroke, then screw the die down until it bottoms out, then back off the pressure, and run the die another 1/8th of a turn and lock down.
That is what I did, and had the same problem as you. I called RCBS customer service, and the tech told me to run the die down an additional 1/8th of a turn. That is when the problem went away.
If this didn't work, they said to size 5 pieces of brass, send them and the dies in to the factory. They would regrind them to fit for free.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When reloading bottle neck rifle cases, the headspace is set by the distance from the base of the cartridge to the shoulder. If the shoulder is pushed too far down, you are creating a headspace problem and that can get dangerous pretty fast. I use case gauges to set my dies when doing a large number of cases to avoid that problem. Here is a link to what I am referring to and it is even in stock at this time.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456614/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gage-223-remington
You can insert the case into the gauge and verify that it isn't too short or long at a glance. I will often run loaded ammo into it to reassure myself that it meets specs.. Good luck, Blitzfike

bearpaws

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Borrow another set of dies..maybe a different brand. Try it and see if any changes.. also check to see if the shellholder is exactly what its manufacturer calls out to use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom