5 Ethanol Myths Debunked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like ethanol in ANY of my engines and I won't buy it as long as I have any alternative.

So those arguments don't hold sway with me whether they have any validity or not.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am curious how without subsidies the difference would be greater...Ethanol as it stands is cheaper and oil companies and the oil companies receive a lot of tax breads and subsidies. 2 way street there buddy.
So does the ethanol industry.
On top of that, we impose a 54 cent per gallon tariff on ethanol imported from Brazil because domestic ethanol made from corn can't compete with Brazilian ethanol made from sugar.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One has to wonder how this statement plays if you remove the 45 cent per gallon tax credit that the blenders get? That's called a subsidy by any other name, and it's the only thing keeping ethanol in the game.
Yet, there are a number of hidden costs associated with the use of petroleum. A study conducted in 2003 showed that the true cost of a gallon of gasoline (including all indirect costs) was $5.28 per gallon. Yet in 2003, the average pump price for a gallon of gasoline was only $1.50. One can imagine what the actual cost is today by factoring in such indirect costs.
As the earth is losing between 14,000 and 18,000 square miles of farm land per year in order to accomodate the 6 - 7 billion people that currently live there, and the rate of population increase and farm land loss are both accelerating, ethanol is switching one devil for another...because it's certainly not sustainable in the long term.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It ain't rocket science. Ethanol has been around for a long time, I remember trying gasohol in my 1st car back around 1980'ish when it first came out. It's been hiding in the shadows all this time until the government started subsidizing it recently. Hmm...Why is that? If it's the saving grace the government says it is:

1) Why did the free market pretty much reject it cold for all those years?

and

2) Why does everyone hate it?

For the record, I think pure ethanol in an engine setup for it is just okay. But it just plain sucks to dilute gasoline with. CNG and propane are far better alternatives. Hell, if we could get rid of some of the EPA mandated emission controls DIESEL is a better alternative. If you don't believe that look at Europe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom