5 Ethanol Myths Debunked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#2 is definitely BS. Ethanol production has driven up the prices of every food commodity. He didn't "debunk" #5 and the desparity would be even greater without government subsidies. Ethanol is not the answer. This article is a waste of time.

BroDog01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The check engine light on my mother-in-law's Volvo was constantly on. She took it to several places and nobody could figure out the problem (wasn't the O2 sensor, etc.) and then someone told her to try no ethanol gas. She did and the check engine light never came back on.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#2 is definitely BS. Ethanol production has driven up the prices of every food commodity. He didn't "debunk" #5 and the desparity would be even greater without government subsidies. Ethanol is not the answer. This article is a waste of time.

where is your backing for #2? considering ethanol has been used for a lot of various things since the 80s. It is more the insurance for crops and higher costs across the board driving up those prices...So please tell me how ethanol (which can be made from many different sources) is driving up all food costs across the board

Ethanol is a hell of an answer. But I wouldn't o understand concepts of lower costs, renewable fuel sources, and more.

I am curious how without subsidies the difference would be greater...Ethanol as it stands is cheaper and oil companies and the oil companies receive a lot of tax breads and subsidies. 2 way street there buddy.

The check engine light on my mother-in-law's Volvo was constantly on. She took it to several places and nobody could figure out the problem (wasn't the O2 sensor, etc.) and then someone told her to try no ethanol gas. She did and the check engine light never came back on.

so you took it several places and nobody could pull the codes and tell you the cause for a check engine light? Sounds like you need better mechanics or places to look at the car. They make a scanner that reads the computer and pulls the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) to tell you the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not exactly and arms length, independent study. Follow the money. Argonne is an arm of the Department of Energy and closely affiliated with Chicago/Illinois politics.

It's money comes from the administration...I wouldn't expect any of their research to ruffle the feathers of those who control the purse strings. I'm not firmly in the anti-ethanol camp yet, but only truly independent studies will convince me one way or the other.

Debunking the debunkers: http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/2008/03/12/debunking-robert-zubrin/

arenathlete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ethanol is a hell of an answer. But I wouldn't expect feeble minds to understand concepts of lower costs, renewable fuel sources, and more.

NO, Hemp is a hell of an answer, research it.

AND

Why you gotta go personal???

AND

They(EPA) are just setting us all up for E15, now that's really going to be a kick in the ol' engine. Watch out for that coming warning label!

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
76,000 people are directly employed by the oil and nautral gas industry in Oklahoma alone. 70,600 are directly employed by the ethanol industry nationwide.

We are in a drought and these fuel crops aren't being irrigated by that rains that never come, rather they are being irrigated by the growers.

Too bad E-15 ethanol destroys small engines, drys out and cracks rubber and plastic components in engines and promotes rust, see alchohol.

Ethanol and ethanol blends have been around a long time, but they are less effecient than natural gas and oil.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my mind is feeble cause I don't like ethanol...I was told by our car dealer to not put it in our new Buick. My son was told by the dealer that sold him his new mower ( 6700 dollars) to not put it in the mower, my friend told me that his John Deere mower had to have all new seals and fuel lines cause of the stuff (according to the John Deere dealer ) So....I guess all their minds are feeble also..God it's good to be feeble..I have to use less energy thinking when I'm feeble..:homer:

Latest posts

Top Bottom