5 Ethanol Myths Debunked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a source for a National Lab being involved in state/local politics? That doesn't sound right.

I didn't mean to say they were involved in state/local politics...I was pointing out that they are involved/tied to the Chicago political machine which has become the national machine.

The lab is run, in part, by the University of Chicago and many of the lab's staff and/or governing body have ties to the Obama admin (like Robert Zimmer).

Not good or bad, sure there were probably plenty of Bush folks running around during his time. But the point is this editorial is not coming from an independent source...it's coming from a source that serves to further the agenda of the current administration. Something to be kept in mind when arguing the points.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
astatic.audiblehype.com_img_biowillie.jpg

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No lie. A diesel delivery truck that gets 40+ mpg!!!!??? And the only thing stopping Ford from selling them stateside is a stupid law to protect from a problem that is cause MOSTLY by water vapor. And on that note, doesnt diesel exhaust fall rather than rise?

Pretty soon diesel exhaust will be cleaner than the air that goes into the engine for combustion.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the restaraunt business. We watch food commodities and futures closely. The government subsidies of ethanol have made corn a much more lucrative crop. As a result, soy farmers, wheat farmers, etc. changed their crops to corn. Thus, soy goes up, wheat goes up and corn goes up. Feed becomes more expensive so beef goes up, dairy goes up, etc. It's as simple as supply and demand and whatever you're saving at the pump you're giving back with interest at the grocery counter. I ought to know, since I buy close to a million in groceries every year.

Now, if you want to argue that you prefer ethanol because you like filling up more often or because you enjoy taking your small engines or boats in for repair, then you might have an argument. However, there was nothing substantial in this article for the support of ethanol.

I can promise you it is not the farmer profiting from your increased costs in processed food. If you look at the historical price charts, farm commodities are not even double what they were in 1980. Yet the cost of production is many times higher. How would you like to operate your business selling food at slightly higher that 1980 prices? Inflation on food is very, very low at the commodity level. What you are paying for is all the increased costs due to inflation at the processing level. It has jack squat to do with ethanol subsides.

Latest posts

Top Bottom