.500 S&W mag.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that is recovering from a lengthy illness and wants to go shoot his 500 mag but is afraid he isn't strong enough for full power loads. Does anyone have a recomendation for a light to moderate plinking load. I believe the only components he has on hand are 440 gr. jacketed bullets and H110 powder that he got with the revolver, I reload but have absolutely no experience with the .500

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cor-Bon sells a reduced load. It's a 350gr flat point at 1100 fps. It shoots pretty soft out of the full length compensated barrel.

We just ran about 500 of them Saturday at the Honored American Veterans Afield event. I was running the 500 and .44Mags. I had everyone from 5'0" 100# females to wounded vets in motorized wheelchairs shooting the 500 with this load and all were sucessfully able to shoot it. Most of the shooters preferred this combo to shooting 200gr .44 mags out of the 6" 629's.

BTW, this was the most rewarding experience in the shooting world I've ever had. Great event for a fantastic cause. Cor-Bon donated 600 rounds of .500, 4000 rounds of 9mm and sent a staffer from PA to TX to help with the event. Good company to patronize.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
recovering from an injury..wants to shoot his .500....hmmmm, don't have a rimfire to play with? Dang not as fun as the boomers but still. shoot a .44 or something. lol

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like fiction but here goes, In late April he fell in his house and broke his back (he is 63 years old and has had 4 previous back surgeries). When he was released from the hospital he had to go to a nursing home for re-hab, just as he was getting ready to be released he fell in the shower and re-broke his back. After that surgery they found that he had contracted a Staph (mersa, Spelling?) infection, he had to spend 2 1/2 months in another hospital similar to a nursing home getting rid of it, now he goes in Weds. to get his shoulder fixed cause the fall at the nursing home screwed it up. When he heals from that they are going to operate on his back again to remove the hardware they put in because the staph germs could be hiding in the screw holes. If he is real lucky he may be able to shoot his 500 by April or May of next year. He has never shot the 500 but is extremely good with an old model Ruger Super Blackhawk that he has had forever, I watched him hit a quart oil can at a good hundred yards shooting one handed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom