650 case feeder question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 650. Has anyone loaded a lot of 9mm on one with a case feeder? If so, is it pretty reliable about feeding them and right side up. I've been loading on a hornady and get pretty frustrated with that one. Cases turning sideways, upside down, etc. I know the rest of the press is pretty solid and have loaded a lot on a 550 as well as SDB.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 650. Has anyone loaded a lot of 9mm on one with a case feeder? If so, is it pretty reliable about feeding them and right side up. I've been loading on a hornady and get pretty frustrated with that one. Cases turning sideways, upside down, etc. I know the rest of the press is pretty solid and have loaded a lot on a 550 as well as SDB.

I load on a 650 with a case feeder. It is very reliable. There are maybe two in a thousand that get put in upside down as well as one "jam" per thousand loaded. Both are quick and easy to fix. I can typically load one thousand rounds an hour.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I load on a 650 with a case feeder. It is very reliable. There are maybe two in a thousand that get put in upside down as well as one "jam" per thousand loaded. Both are quick and easy to fix. I can typically load one thousand rounds an hour.

do you load 9mm

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ditto for ma also. I get a jam or two after a thousand rounds but thats it. The biggest issue with these progressive machines is taking the time to get a real good feel for the machine and not get going too fast. I load about 1000 rounds an hour and that is plenty. If you think about it that is one pull ever 3 1/2 seconds. Some people thing that means they need to pull the handle twice a second and that only works for a min until you screw something up.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto for ma also. I get a jam or two after a thousand rounds but thats it. The biggest issue with these progressive machines is taking the time to get a real good feel for the machine and not get going too fast. I load about 1000 rounds an hour and that is plenty. If you think about it that is one pull ever 3 1/2 seconds. Some people thing that means they need to pull the handle twice a second and that only works for a min until you screw something up.

I agree with this. "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" applies here.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Guess I might need to change my loading and shooting style. Thanks for the answers guys, Enos here I come. The Hornady isn't mine to sell and it works ok for the most part. It just picks the wrong time to screw up, usually when it's crunch time trying to get some loaded before a match.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a big investment for me Mike, but I have not regretted it one bit. The only way it will change your shooting style is you will get more trigger time cuz it's not such a PIA to load a bunch of boolits!

Latest posts

Top Bottom