• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

7mm Mauser (7x57) brass - Found the dies!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You Rolling some 7mauser out yet?
Not yet.

No brass, no mould.

I purchased some 7mm new ammo, but I want to break it apart and download it before shooting. I'm more interested in shooting cast from it than jacketed, but I can shoot a few downloaded jacketed until I find a mould.

And I haven't got a 7mm insert for my Hornady collet puller.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There is no need to pull bullets and load down 7 x 57 commercial ammo. It is already loaded down for old guns. I need to load up for my Ruger No. 1 in 7 x 57 to get top performance. For all the rest factory loads are just fine.

There is a "sorta" exception. The Remington Rolling Blocks 7 x 57's have a very springy action. Case heads have a tendency to separate because of that. The block springs, rolling back and the top of the case right in front of the head will stretch. You can slow that down by timing your brass. File a small notch in the rim and always load that notch to the 12 o'clock position in the chamber. That won't stop the stretch but will slow it down. Two or three reloads at best an RB.

My Boer 93/95 Mauser-Chilean Mauser is a good shooting gun un altered. A previous sporter built on a Swede Mauser was very accurate. That is one of those guns on my list of "shoulds never sold". There is another 7 x 57 Swede Sporter in progress in storage, that I should finish some day.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
There is no need to pull bullets and load down 7 x 57 commercial ammo. It is already loaded down for old guns.
This may very well be true, I have no experience with 7x57.

The real question is not if it's downloaded for old guns, but if it's downloaded for old shooters.

I have no desire to beat myself up. 2000 fps and under is plenty. Anything I can't kill with that, well I'm not going to hunt it anyway.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
All the bullets I have pulled were with a simple inertia puller.
No marks on the bullet at all.
No way to pull a soft lead bullet and reuse it with a collet puller.

I made my inertia puller just a block or cedar with a hole drilled into it and foam ear plug in the bottom.
Hole big enough to slid the brass case into and use the shell holder to hold the case from falling into the hole.
Hold shell holder with case inserted into the block and pound the block on an anvil.
I use a steel weight off a weight bench I place in my lap.

I used large zip ties to hold the shell holder because holding with a finger hurts after a few wacks.

There are better ways to build an inertia puller but this one has worked for me since I began reloading.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I picked up a sporter 7x57 Mauser from a member (Thanks Darren!)

I want to shoot it.

Now I need brass, and dies, and maybe 7mm bullets.

Cash, or what can we trade ?
I have a Lyman 7mm 135gn 2 cavity mold that I may part with -- my problem is I also have a custom 280Rem/7mm rifle w/ about 45rds ammo that I am thinking about selling. If I sell it the buyer may want the mold. I should know within a couple weeks if I want to sell it

Latest posts

Top Bottom