7mm Remington Magnum - What's the Deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The stores that sell ammo around here have been out of .22LR, and virtually every sort of centerfire rifle and pistol cartridge for weeks. Except for 7mm Remington Magnum. They all have cases of this stuff. You can take your pick of Federal, Remington or Winchester loads. My question is, why?
Are the factories cranking this out instead of the other calibers? Does no one ever shoot this stuff? If so, why are stores stocking it in large quantities? Just curious.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
7mm mag? Too many bigger cartridges that are better..................too many smaller cartridges that have almost the same ballistics as the 7mm mag that are more effecient.
There are a few out there that shoot them, but as you can see, definately not the majority.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see the 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag regularly. Manufacturers are tooled up to put this stuff out, but these are rifleman's rifles, and the guys that shoot them pretty much roll their own.

I also see a bunch of .444 Marlin. niche round.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I dont know why people arnt buying it. But I will say that 7mm Mauser is the most superior center fire rifle cartridge.

Superior to????? A 30-30, yes. Great round, yes. Best cartridge offered in a mauser rifle? Maybe. 6.5x55? Maybe. There's better out there, great whitetail round and accurate round for sure, but superior, there's way better IMO.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elephants killed with a 7mm Mauser = 750+. That was Karamojo Bell's go to gun. He killed 100 or so with the 6.5, but decided it was a bit on the light side.

Elephants killed with a 7mm Mag = Anybody know?

I know, the whole world hates a smart ass. I'd reckon if you loaded the same 175 grain solids in a 7 Mag, it will kill elephants just as dead, and maybe even deader, than the 7 Mauser. And I don't reckon Bell had access to a 7 Mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom