7mm Remington Magnum - What's the Deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Elephants killed with a 7mm Mauser = 750+. That was Karamojo Bell's go to gun. He killed 100 or so with the 6.5, but decided it was a bit on the light side.

Elephants killed with a 7mm Mag = Anybody know?

I know, the whole world hates a smart ass. I'd reckon if you loaded the same 175 grain solids in a 7 Mag, it will kill elephants just as dead, and maybe even deader, than the 7 Mauser. And I don't reckon Bell had access to a 7 Mag.

Just think what he could have done with the 8mm mauser!!!!!!!!!!!:D

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7mm mag? Too many bigger cartridges that are better..................too many smaller cartridges that have almost the same ballistics as the 7mm mag that are more effecient.
There are a few out there that shoot them, but as you can see, definately not the majority.
That's part of the reason. I reload my own and have never bought factory ammo for mine.

OK243

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load Berger 180 hybrids in my 7 mag. I have not had the opportunity to shoot anything with it yet but I fairly confident they won't walk off!!!!

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three 7mags in my gun safe. It is one of the five most popular hunting cartridges in the US. That is why the stores have it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and it is in the top5 of RCBS dies sold every year.
Like stated earlier, they have it on the shelf because of it is popular, available from the distributors (guy at ACADEMY told me they order ANY available ammo) and when I go shoot 7 Mag, I don't burn through 500 rounds at a setting.

And Been, & Mauser is good, but no better than 7-08, 280 Rem, 25-06, 270, 6.5x55, .257 Robert, .264 WinMag, .308, 30-06, blah blah blah. Most is just a question of personal choice or what others in your family / peer group prefer. I shoot 7Mag because I got a DEAL on the rifle, bought my 12yo son a 7Mauser becasue I could reload his shells with the same bullets I was using. My hunting buddy got a 7Mag becasue I had one and could reload it. He bought his son a .280 becasue of the same bullet.

Saw 2 guys at the range one day. 1 had a .270 and had been teaching his buddy to shoot. The buddy was out for first time with his new rifle, had gone to gt a .270 but ended up with .308. They were shooting from same bench with both boxes of ammo on teh bench. Both shooting green box Rem. Guy #1 sits down to shoot. Reaches for ammo while talking to his buddy. Chambers a .308 round in his .270. Luckily, the rifle stayed in 1 piece. It did knock him off the seat backwards. Bolt would not open.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And Been, & Mauser is good, but no better than 7-08, 280 Rem, 25-06, 270, 6.5x55, .257 Robert, .264 WinMag, .308, 30-06, blah blah blah. Most is just a question of personal choice

If you make it matter of "personal choice" - then, sure, 7mm Mauser is no better than cartridges listed...

If you make it a matter of FACT or science and physics - then no doubt Mr. Mauser got it right the first time. It makes all the cartridges in your list preemptively obsolete - none of them do a better job of "efficiency VS recoil VS barrel life VS delivery" - it is mathematically optimal. Every single cartridge listed is an intentional mistake based on politics and commerce. The only thing that can tango with 7mm Mauser is 6.5x47L; and it took 110 years to come up with that.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's on the shelf because most people are too big a sissy to shoot it.

This.

It is just not a popular hunting cartridge for this area. Go up north to Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, etc and you will not find it on the shelf. I know this because I have friends from that area are looking for it.

7 mag is great round. 7STW is even better.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This.

It is just not a popular hunting cartridge for this area. Go up north to Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, etc and you will not find it on the shelf. I know this because I have friends from that area are looking for it.

7 mag is great round. 7STW is even better.

And this.

My first big rifle was a 7mm Rem. Mag. Bought it at Sports Unlimited when I was 17. I didnt pick that caliber, It was the only left handed rifle in the store. I also remember the salesman told me " it would knock a moose on its ass at 1000 yards". LOL.

I shot many,many rounds through that. Back then I didnt now any better so I did plink it all day at the range. I loaded just about every variety of a person could for that round. The .284 has some range from 100gr-175gr. Coyote to large game.

Only reason I sold it is because .308 has more range and availability.

Its a good solid round, just not necessary here, at least on the east side of Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom