7mm Remington Magnum - What's the Deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you make it matter of "personal choice" - then, sure, 7mm Mauser is no better than cartridges listed...

If you make it a matter of FACT .

Not a FACT, just an opinion. Mr. Mauser made other calibers and cartridges, jsut John Moses, Sam Colt, Bill Ruger, etc and wildcatters and tinkerers world wide. continously strive for something better or to fill a special niche. The Trapdoor Springfield and 45-70 Gov't was heralded as the greatest rifle on earth. 150 yrs later, it is still a great rifle and cartridge, but how boring our life and how empty our gun cabinets would be, without continous experimentation and improvement.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the 7mag is on the shelf because you get the gun sight it in go hunt kill the animal
and back into the closet it goes...

I had a 7mm mag..sold it because the 100-150fps faster than the 30-06 did not thrill me enough to keep it.
I also had a 7 mauser...sold it also it was sporterized and just not up to the accuracy i wanted..
Sure i could have re barreled it .. seriously. I will not spend that kind of money on a gun to hunt with.
Why yes i am a tight wad thanks for asking:>

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the situation would be somewhat different if the panic started in September; I would think that the vast majority of 7 mag sales occur in September, October, and November. Economy is another factor, of course - not as many folks going west to hunt, buying an extra box, taking target practice, etc. It has also been my observation over the past year or so that there are a lot of 7 mag, .300 mag, .30-06, and .270 bolt rifles for sale. Lots of people going .223 semi-auto + .243, etc. after discovering big boomers aren't neccesary for Oklahoma whitetail deer.

Cedar Creek

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the Spanish American War the other side had 7mm Mausers. Our guys were badly outgunned. Our eventual response was the 30-06, which was too big, but I think it was Pershing who wanted something to shoot at light armored vehicles out past 1000 yards. So, generations of USGIs had to lug around heavy ammo that kicked more than it should. Initial ammo submissions when the '03 Springfield was on the drawing board were near clones of the 7mm Mauser, and far better combat rounds.

That was then, and modern powders that power all the superior rounds didn't exist. The 30-06 case served as the parent of a slew of modern cases, many better than the venerable 30-06.

I understand that it is heresy to say the '06 was a bad choice, but it's true nonetheless.

So been, you would have been right a bit over a hundred years ago. I'll take my 6.5 Swede over the 7mm for accuracy.

As to why so much 7mm Rem Mag ammo is around, it's expensive, and nobody needs very much of it. I have a Santa Barbara Mauser in 7 Mag. It's a great shooter and surprisingly friendly in terms of recoil, but I reload for it. I take it to the range now and then. It's very accurate. Haven't shot anything alive with it yet. May do an armadillo hunt with it this spring . . .

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most people who shoot magnums -Reload-
Thats why you find the shelves full.
Most once a year hunters are probably working off their original couple boxes they bought with the gun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most people who shoot magnums -Reload-
Thats why you find the shelves full.
Most once a year hunters are probably working off their original couple boxes they bought with the gun.

This^^^^ my ex fil has been working on a 20 round box of 30-30 for 18 years now. One round left LOL!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this really goes for all large caliber rifle cartridges ... anyone that target shoots regularly will be reloading.

folks that hunt deer will not go through many cartridges per season. assuming rifle is sighted in and shooter is a competent shot. let's see 2-3 shots to double check sights at beginning of season. then one cartridge per deer taken. let's say you kill 2-3 deer per season. this means one 20 round box could last several years ...

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my 7 mag in 1986. It isn't much better than a 30.06. I have three because I bought each of my sons one. I like it and load for it. I got the boys the same caliber so we could share ammo. When I got my rifle I could have bought any rifle I wanted.

I almost went with a 25.06 but I thought that I might someday go elk hunting and the 7 mag would be better. The 7 mag is common enough that you can get ammo most places. I could have killed every deer I have shot with my 30 30. I now shoot 140 grain bullets and I have no kind of advantage with the 7 mag over many other cartridges. It was a matter of choice and so many different cartridges perform almost the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom