8 mm Mauser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got this thing as a gift back in the '70s - I remember the tag was still on it- $65. I bought myself a Lee hand loader and went to town. Heck, I wish I still had the Lee! Anyway, corrosive doesn't scare me, we can take care of that. Just have heard a lot of chatter about how crummy the old ammo is, like the persian from the '30s etc. that I still see a little of around the web. Guy had an ammo can full of surplus at a gun show last month - 300 rds for a 100 bucks. I couldn't tell where it was from so I passed. Should have snagged it anyway. I'm beginning to believe it doesn't make much difference as long as it's safe. I may be thinking this to death. My grandson is lobbying me hard to fire this thing up. You know how they get. Anyway, I need to remember this Mauser is not exactly a high- dollar collectible!

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there something in particular about green-cased Romanian that I should worry about? Keep in mind that I don't know much about this stuff, but I sure appreciate what I'm learning just by asking! I know about the corrosive factor and cleaning up after, but that's about it. Also, is all of the surplus AK ammo corrosive as well?

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there something in particular about green-cased Romanian that I should worry about? Keep in mind that I don't know much about this stuff, but I sure appreciate what I'm learning just by asking! I know about the corrosive factor and cleaning up after, but that's about it. Also, is all of the surplus AK ammo corrosive as well?

Not that I know of. Apparently the primers are a bit softer than others though (like Yugo ammo). My rifle likes Romanian the best though, and so do I.

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've a bit of everything as far as 8mm mauser...some of which I just run through my Hakim and FN-49, others which I trust only in a bolt action.

As far as surplus 8mm, the 1947 Turk ammo had annealing problems, and about 10% of what I was receiving had split necks.
I discarded the split cases, and shot the rest.
Too hot to shoot in semi-autos, so I shoot only in my long barrelled mausers, as it's quite accurate.
Century Arms would take my word for it as to how many I was discarding, and credit it to my account.

1950's Yugo (only 1950's) had some issues with primers being seated too deeply depending on what plant produced it.
Firing pin could not strike the primer adequately, so many of us spend $9.00 on heavier Wolff springs, and corrected the problem.
Some 50's had a tendency to split when being fired, so this is reserved for my bolt action.
I paid six cents a round, shipped, for the 1950's Yugo, so I can live with having to buy a $9.00 spring. :)

Late 1930's Greek, 1940 Yugoslavian, 1970's Yugoslavian, Romanian, I shoot in my semi-autos 8mm.

Years other than 1947 are not an issue with split necks in Turk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom